Newly Admitted Graduate Students
. . . on your admission to the Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering. We are happy to learn that you have decided to attend Purdue University to obtain your graduate degree in Biomedical Engineering. We are proud of our graduate program, and your Purdue degree will serve you well as you pursue your career goals.
At this time you must have many questions. This web site is designed to help answer those questions for you.
Classes for the Fall 2017 semester begin on Monday, August 21, 2017
Mandatory orientation program for ALL new BME and IBSC graduate students is scheduled to begin at 12:00 pm on Monday, August 14, 2017, in the Martin C. Jischke Hall of Biomedical Engineering (MJIS), Room 2001.
You will receive a new student packet, as well as information on how to begin the registration process.
This program will help you become acquainted with Purdue University, and with the Weldon School of BME in particular. A draft of the orientation activities may be found at Orientation and Other First Week Events. Please note in the weeks leading up to orientation, changes may be made to the schedule.
If possible, plan to arrive in West Lafayette a few days before orientation begins so that you have time to settle in. Please feel free to stop by the BME Graduate Office as soon as possible to introduce yourself. Our normal hours are 8:00am - 12:00 noon and 1:00pm - 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.
Additional mandatory orientation sessions for International Students:
Information for international students admitted for the fall semester can be found at ISS Pre-arrival information. Mandatory ISS check-in and orientation sessions will be scheduled sometime in August, and these are separate from the BME orientation. Specific dates for these events will be posted once they are scheduled. At the ISS website, please also refer to the Guide for Purdue Students which provides a wealth of information about the local community, housing, shopping, banking institutions, etc.
In addition to other documents listed on the ISS website, you MUST bring a copy of your financial offer letter that shows your employment (RA or TA appointment) with BME. This document is required for you to obtain your Social Security Number (SSN) during the ISS check-in and orientation session. Possession of a SSN is mandatory in order for your pay to be processed with the BME business office during the BME orientation the following week.
Tips for Graduate Living
A great resource for graduate students is "Tips for Graduate Living". This document is published by our Purdue Graduate Student Government (PGSG) and contains helpful tips about surviving graduate study, as well as practical information about the Lafayette area. This document and other useful resources can be found at Graduate School Resources.
Other Program Information
Our web site contains several documents to help you in planning your graduate studies.
Other Helpful Links
- Academic Calendar
- Graduate School Information for New Students
- Bursar's Office (Fees/Tuition)
- Schedule of Classes
- On Campus Housing
- Off Campus Apartments
- More Off Campus Apartments
- Renting in West Lafayette **Consider purchasing Renter's Insurance!**
- Setting up Purdue Career Account and Purdue email address NOTE: All faculty, staff and students have a career account. Your career account will give you electronic access to your @purdue.edu email account and other electronic services. This account is yours to use for as long as you are affiliated with Purdue University. You will need to know your PUID and your initial account activation password to activate your account. Your PUID is located on your admission letter from the Graduate School (you can obtain this letter by logging into the graduate application website). The activation password was sent from Purdue by email after your admission (subject line key word: "Career Info"). If you have lost this password, please contact email@example.com.
- Getting Started with your ECN account
We look forward to seeing you in August. If the BME Graduate Office can help in any way in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Graduate Program Coordinator
Graduate Program Assistant