ECE 49595 - Introduction to MEMSLecture Hours: 3 Credits: 3
This is an experiential learning course.
CMPE Special Content Elective
Experimental Course Offered: Fall 2017, Fall 2018
(ECE 20001 or ECE 20100) and (PHYS 27200 or PHYS 24100 or PHYS 25100 or PHYS 26100)
Microelectromechanical devices (MEMS), such as pressure sensors, accelerometers, rate gyroscopes, and opto-mechanical assemblies and displays, require knowledge of a broad range of disciplines, from microfabrication to mechanics to electromagnetism. This course presents an introduction to this broad field, using examples, design projects, and hands-on labs drawn from real-world MEMS applications. Lectures will cover microfabrication technologies and process flow development, material properties, structural behavior of MEMS devices, transducers, and thermal domain. Later in the course, we will focus on case studies in MEMS, such as Digital Light Projection (DLP), micromachined accelerometers, and Film Bulk Acoustic Resonators (FBARs). Several hands-on assignments throughout the course will provide an opportunity for measurement and characterization of devices studied in class.
Required Text(s): None.
Recommended Text(s): None.
Learning Outcomes:A student who successfully fulfills the course requirements will have demonstrated:
- an ability to generate a process flow for microfabrication of MEMS. [None]
- the ability to perform static and dynamic analysis of MEMS devices using lumped element modeling. [None]
- an understanding of transduction mechanisms in MEMS. [None]
- an understanding of thermal domain in MEMS, including actuation, sensing, dissipation, and effects on stability. [None]
- the ability to design MEMS sensors and actuators. [None]
- ability to perform measurements on MEMS devices and analyze data. [None]
|1||Introduction to MEMS|
|2-3||Microfabrication + Birck Fab Lab|
|4||Beams + COMSOL|
|5||Lumped element modeling|
|6-7||Capacitive transducers + Kenny DETF resonator lab|
|12||Microfluidics and BioMEMS|
|13-14||Case studies - ADI XL, TI DLP, Avago FBAR, microphone|
|15||Final project presentations|