Undergraduate Research in Materials Engineering (MSE 49900)

Undergraduate research, MSE 49900, provides the opportunity for laboratory and/or library research beyond the scope of the ordinary undergraduate curriculum, working in a research environment under the direct guidance of a faculty member.

Undergraduate research may be taken for 1, 2 or 3 credit hours in a given semester, and up to 6 credits of MSE 49900 can count towards fulfilling your Technical Elective Program. To enroll in MSE 49900, find a faculty member who is willing to supervise your research project. The best way to do this is to review the faculty research interests available on the MSE website and find a match with your own interests. Next you should arrange a meeting with the faculty member to inquire if he/she is willing to act as your research advisor and discuss possible projects.

After finding a faculty advisor you should submit a petition to the Undergraduate Chairman for approval of your 49900 project. A petition request form can be found at:

MSE 499 Independent Research Request Form