Applying to Materials Engineering Graduate Program
We are pleased you are interested in studying Materials Engineering at Purdue University.
The MSE graduate program emphasizes the application of the basic sciences to the understanding of the structure, properties, and processing of materials. Programs of study are designed to broaden and deepen the student’s knowledge of those parts of the field which are of most universal applicability. The School offers degrees not only in the fields of Materials Engineering but also in other engineering and science fields. Students are encouraged to apply early in the fall term. Admission is based upon prior performance and projected success as indicated by undergraduate scholastic performance, industrial work experience, and recommendations from those most familiar with the student’s record. Admission is based on the entire application package. Please pay close attention to detail as you apply to ensure that you will present yourself well.
The following list is an outline of important dates and documents required:
- Deadline—December 15 for full consideration completed application packages should be received by the deadline. Generally, no spring or summer admission.
- Transcripts—all transcripts need to be official documents, both Ph.D. and M.S. degrees of Materials Engineering. Ph.D. degree applicants receive primary consideration for financial support, but the M.S. degree applicants may be considered especially if funding is provided by industry, government, or self. Students who wish to obtain an M.S. on the way to a Ph.D. show apply directly to the Ph.D. program. Admission is open to students with undergraduate Baccalaureates. Please also upload a diploma if your final transcript does not indicate the degree is awarded.
- GRE Exam—no longer required. However, if it is included it may be reviewed as we review the whole application to make admission decisions.
- English Proficiency—all English proficiency exams must be completed within two years of application. Here are the minimum requirements: Writing 18, speaking 18, Listening 14, Reading 19, and a total score of 80, IELTS—overall band score of 6.5. The School of Materials Engineering requires the speaking score on TOEFL to be at least 24 and 7 on IELTS.
- English Proficiency Waiver—The Graduate School will waive the English proficiency requirement only after an applicant has been recommended for admission, and the applicant has graduated from an approved university.
- Recommendation Letters—Materials Engineering requires at least three letters of recommendation to be uploaded to your online application.
- Statement of Purpose—let us get to know you and your related experience in your SOP.
- Resume—upload a resume that includes a list of publications or posters you have presented and where. Please list all work and academic experience. Please include leadership or other experiences that distinguish you.
- Diversity Essay—all domestic students must complete the diversity essay. This is a requirement to be nominated for fellowships.
Helpful Hints when checking online application
- For students applying with CONACYT Fellowship, click here
- Status of “Awaiting Submission” means that you need to pay the application fee before your application will be considered. A status of “Awaiting Materials” means that you are missing items for your application. If you need to fulfill the English proficiency requirement and have not taken the TOEFL or IELTS, your application will show awaiting materials. If you are attending an English-speaking university, you will not be granted a waiver until you have graduated with your degree. Your application will show awaiting materials permanently.
- Status of “Awaiting Decision” means that your application is complete and will be forwarded to our Admissions Committee for evaluation.
Contact Information for the MSE Graduate Office
Rosemary Son, Graduate Program Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org | 765-494-4105
Vicki Cline, Academic Program Administrator
email@example.com | 765-494-4103
Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering
701 West Stadium Avenue
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2045
Phone: (765) 494-4105
Fax: (765 494-1204