ECE Registration Information

Table of Contents

Registration Process

ECE Waitlist

ECE Override Request

Non-ECE Course Override Information

Outside Space Request


Registration Process


Before receiving their registration PIN, all ECE students must complete/update their Student Educational Planner (SEP) in MyPurduePlan for all historical and future terms. Students are assigned designated weeks in which they must complete their Student Educational Planner and Student Registration Profile (SRP).  These dates are based on a student's classification as listed in MyPurdue.  

Students are welcome, but not required, to hold a registration meeting with their primary academic advisor after they receive an email stating their SEP has been approved. While most students are not required to hold a meeting with their academic advisor to obtain their Registration PIN, for certain groups of students it is required (listed below), so make sure you know your status.  Students with priority registration will have earlier SEP completion and meeting times regardless of classification, so make sure you know when you are supposed to complete the pre-registration process with your advisor: 

When to complete SEP & SRP:

Priority & Seniors:  August 24 - September 18

Juniors:  September 14 - October 9

Sophomores:  October 5 - October 30

Open Appointments:  November 9 forward

These registration periods are NOT to be confused with your actual Time Tickets, but are the times in which you complete your SEP.  Students who do not complete their SEP and SRP during the time period specified may have to wait until open registration and risk not getting into the class(es) they need.

The following groups of students are required to meet with their primary Academic Advisor:

  • Academic Probation (includes students on readmit status as of Fall 2015)

  • Students planning to Study Abroad in the Spring 2016, Summer 2016, or Fall 2016 semesters.

  • Transfer Students (new to Purdue starting Fall 2015)

  • ECE 20000 students (meeting and registration will be completed in class)

  • Students with special requests (credit hour overloads, etc.)

For other students, an advisor meeting is optional unless there is a concern about your SEP, in which case you will be asked to schedule a meeting with your Academic Advisor before your PIN is released.  If your SEP is approved, your PIN will be emailed to you as well as put in your myPurduePlan notes. To guarantee you have your PIN prior to the opening of your time ticket, your SEP must be completed during your designated time listed above and allow no less than 5 business days to be reviewed.  If you wish to meet with your Academic Advisor, you may make an appointment once you receive an email stating that your SEP has been approved.


ECE Pre-Registration & PIN Procedure

  1. Identify your classification in myPurdue and know when you must complete the ECE pre-registration process (including completion of SEP, SRP and meeting with advisor if desired/required)

  2. Determine the courses you need to take to fulfill degree requirements by utilizing the degree information online and your ECE degree audit (do not use MyPurduePlan audit worksheet!).

  3. Review some Common Plan of Study Issues to help ensure you are creating a viable plan.

  4. Complete or update your Student Educational Planner in MyPurduePlan.  Make sure you complete the entire SEP, including historical courses completed in past semesters as well as your plan for all remaining terms.

  5. Once your Student Educational Planner is finished and ready for review, submit the Student Registration Profile to notify your advisor that it is ready for review.

  6. Your academic advisor needs a minimum of 5 business days to review your plan prior to you scheduling your appointment or providing you with your PIN.  This is important to keep in mind as you could run out of time so  Plan Ahead!  

  7. Once your advisor reviews your SEP, you will receive an email indicating either you need to make changes or it will indicate you may now make an appointment if requested/required.  If not, your PIN will be included in this email and visible in myPurduePlan Notes. 

  8. Students will use this PIN to go in to the MyPurdue system and register for courses during your assigned Time Ticket. Students should check MyPurdue as well as watch for communication from the Office of the Registrar regarding these dates.


ECE Wait List

If you need in an ECE course or section that is currently closed or if there is a conflict with another required course, please complete the ECE Wait List request and you will be contacted by our office as soon as information is available.

The wait list should be utilized only when you are unable to fit a course into your schedule, either due to it being full or because of a time-conflict. Every attempt should be made to work out a schedule, even if you have to choose a section that is not your first choice; you can always make changes later should a space appear in your preferred section.  You should not fill out the wait list to try to get into a more ‘desirable’ section of a course. If you need further assistance, please contact the ECE Undergraduate Advising Office at 494-3390 or stop by EE 136.


ECE Override Requests

If you are an ECE student who is getting an error when adding a course to your schedule, please complete the ECE Override Request and you will be contacted by our office as soon as information is available. If you are a non-ECE student, please fill out and submit the outside space request form. Please note that with the exception of foreign language courses, we are unable to provide overrides for general education courses. Please contact the appropriate department.


Non-ECE Course Override Information

Some departments have well-established procedures for requesting space or overrides for their courses. For the procedures regarding courses in a department not listed, contact the specific department directly for further instructions and then follow-up with your ECE advisor if necessary. Overrides for ECE courses should be requested using the form listed above.

  • Krannert Upper-Division Courses
    • Krannert no longer issues overrides for non-Krannert students. Instead, students will need to add their names to the MyPurdue waitlist after restrictions are lifted on the course(s). The dates on which restrictions are removed can be found on their website.
  • Computer Science
    • If you need an override for a prerequisite/co-requisite or instructor's permission, speak to your ECE Academic Advisor to begin the process. Other overrides for CS courses can be requested via their website.
  • Wine Appreciation (FS 47000)
    • Students should begin the process by speaking to an ECE Academic Advisor to obtain a Form 23. The Form 23 should be taken along with driver's license or passport to the Food Science Department (NLSN Rm 2203) to verify that the student will be 21 years old by the date specified by the FS Department.
  • Foreign Language Courses
    • Students planning on enrolling for the first time in a foreign language course who have taken 2 years or more of that language in high school must take the language placement exam. Students who have no previous courses in a language or who have less than 2 years of language study may fill out the ECE override request form to request an override to start at the 10100 level if departmental permission is required for enrollment.


Outside Space Requests

Non-ECE students who wish to enroll in an ECE course must submit an Outside Space Request form. Approval is contingent upon space being available in the course. Most outside space requests are processed on the Thursday during the week of a student's time-ticket as current ECE students are given priority when registering. An email will be sent to students once the override has been entered.