YourMechanic - Hiring Software Engineers / Interns
|Degree Requirement:||MS, PhD
As a Purdue University alum I am very excited to attend the Engineering career fair and share exciting opportunities for those who are looking to bridge the gap between school and gaining valuable work experience. It was an exciting time when I was able to apply the fundamentals I’ve gained there and apply them to my very first role at a company, and hopefully I can share that with more boilermakers!
At YourMechanic, we are looking for good software engineers to join my team and I wanted to request you to notify students who are looking for a software engineering internship or full-time position. I have added some information below (and attached) regarding the company and available positions. If you need further information, please do let me know. Thank you.
VP of Engineering, YourMechanic
Undergraduate ECE, Class of 2008
Apply at https://www.yourmechanic.com/careers or visit us on campus at any of these events:
- Information Session on 01/28/19 at 6:30 - 7:20 PM in Stewart Center
- Expo job fair in the co-rec on 01/29/2019 between 9 AM and 4 PM
YourMechanic was founded with the mission of building the future of car repair by putting convenience and transparency at the forefront of an archaic industry. Often identified as the “Uber for car maintenance”, we have a fleet of mobile mechanics that perform services at our customer’s home or office. Since our founding, we have been backed by distinguished investors like Softbank and Andreessen Horowitz and recently raised $34M+ series-B.
As you can imagine, we face a lot of operational, logistical, customer acquisition and retention challenges on a day-to-day basis, which we solve with the help of technology. The following are some examples:
- Instant pricing for most services we offer across ~1,000 jobs for more than 30,000 makes and models
- Multi-dimensional search for the best mechanics based on jobs, parts, car type, location, skills, experience, tools, etc. for each customer and each service request
- Automated sourcing and ordering of the right parts for the job from a network of suppliers without maintaining inventory
- Scheduling mechanics to optimize their time, while providing the best experience for our customers
Some of the projects we are working on at the moment:
- Optimal scheduling of mechanics for least customer wait time and highest mechanic booked time (see blog posts below).
- Predictive diagnostics for vehicles to enable layman customers to be able to book appropriate repair services based on a set of symptoms.
- Improved physical operations of the company enabled by technological tools to enforce procedures and processes - everything from automated parts procurement to providing consistent service delivery for the most seamless repair experience
- Building a high performance content serving and management system that can scale to tens of millions of visitors per month and serve pages instantly, including data rich pages leveraging our ETL infrastructure.
- Advanced booking flow and pricing engine allowing customers to obtain an instant price online and book mechanics on demand.
At YourMechanic, we use Machine Learning for some very interesting applications. Diagnostic prediction, service and symptom search, customer behavior analysis and optimization are some ways in which we use them today. We also have an in-house A/B testing platform which we use to perform user experiments for conversion and pricing.
Some interesting blog posts from our data team:
We also organize hackathons for fun where we've worked on Amazon dash buttons for car service and a Messenger Chatbot.
We take pride in our culture which is very open to ideas and experimentation, data-driven and extremely fast paced.
Here is a bit about YourMechanic:
- We are disrupting the $75B car repair market by creating a marketplace for top mechanics. A top rated mechanic comes to your home or office, fixes your car, and it costs you 30-50% less than shops and dealers. By eliminating infrastructure costs, we are able to pass the more savings to the consumer and more earnings to the mechanic. You can learn more about us here: https://angel.co/yourmechanic
- Y Combinator 2012
- TechCrunch Disrupt winner 2012
- Raised $25M+ from who’s who of the valley (series-B led by Softbank)
- Live in 45 major U.S. markets across 21 states
- Team of 50 located in Mountain View, walking distance from Caltrain;
- Competitive compensation (Salary, equity)
- Medical/dental/vision premium covered by the company
- Daily lunch program and ample stock of snacks and beverages
- Flex-spending account
- Commuter benefits
- Recreational activities - ping pong, pool table, video-game room, company outings, etc.
- We sponsor H1B Visas