AAE 49700 Rules and Procedures

This course is intended to allow undergraduate students to engage in independent study and individual or small group research projects under the direction of the faculty. Projects may be initiated by students or by faculty. Interested students should follow the procedures listed here.

A limit of six credits can be applied toward specialization/selective degree requirements. If you are getting paid for your research, you cannot register and have it count toward your plan of study. You must choose between credit or payment. 


  1. The student must have a faculty sponsor. (Only an AAE faculty member or courtesy faculty member can award credit for an AAE 49700 project).
  2. The student and sponsoring faculty member should discuss and agree on the intent and focus of the course and the individual expectations of both the student and faculty supervisor.
  3. To register for a course with a variable title, such as an independent study, submit a request using the scheduling assistant. For instructions, watch the video, "How to request a variable title course."


    Note: When calculating the number of credits, the student should spend three hours per week per credit hour. For example, a student signed up for two credit hours for the 15 weeks of class would need to spend six hours per week (90 per semester).

    Registration must be completed by the second Friday of the semester.

  4. The request will route through the workflow as follows: 

  • The faculty supervisor will need to approve the request first, then an academic advisor and department academic designee will review and approve it or return it to the student or faculty supervisor if changes are needed. Purdue University's Registrar’s Office is the final approver.

  • Once the Registrar’s Office has approved and posts to the student's schedule (2-3 business days), the student needs to confirm everything posted as expected, as changes can be made during the approval process.

  • For instructions on how to verify the request, watch the video, "How to confirm the creation of a variable title course request," and confirm everything posted as expected.

  • Once the course has been posted and looks correct, fill out the Course Description Form to add the course to the plan of study, as explained next.

Applying the 49700 to MyPurduePlan

Complete the AAE49700 Course Description Form, get the required signatures and submit the form via email by the third Friday of the semester.

NOTE: This form is a fillable PDF and should be completed electronically.

If the 49700 is a team project, the team should agree on a basic description. Make sure the faculty supervisor has reviewed this description. Even if the 497 is a team project, each team member must still submit their own Course Description Form. If it is a team project, make sure that the form explains how each student's part of the team project is suitable for the area to which each student wishes to apply it. For example, if one wants it to be a Structures major elective, be sure that the Structures component of the project is explained.