Add/Drop/Modify Deadlines & Information
It is a student’s responsibility to be aware of the deadlines to add, drop, or modify a course. These deadlines are set by the Office of the Registrar and can always be found on their academic calendars page.
Adding or dropping a course could potentially have significant implications and thus the decision to do so should always be discussed with a student’s academic advisor.
Course Add & Drop Considerations
- Dropping a class may mean that a future term's academic load will be heavier or that your graduation will be delayed.
- If any courses are a co-requisite to the course you are dropping, you will be required to drop the co-requisite course as well.
- Students are responsible for understanding any potential consequences of changing to part-time academic status should dropping a class put you below 12 credit hours. For example, financial aid eligibility and car insurance rates can sometimes be affected. International students are required to be enrolled full-time in order to maintain their visa status.
- Although a grade of W or WF does not affect your GPA, be aware that a pattern of Ws and/or WFs can blemish your academic record. Withdrawing from a class is something that should be carefully considered.
- If you are adding a course after the semester has started, you are solely responsible for any material that you have missed. Instructors are not required to make allowances for students who start a course late. Make sure you have discussed with the instructor how missed work will be handled before you add the course.
- Depending on the date, several signatures may be required in order to add, drop, or modify a course. Consequentially, students should not wait until the last minute to start the process as it may not be completed in time.
Pass/No Pass Grade Option
ECE students may take general education or complementary elective courses with the pass/no pass grade option. Students are not permitted to take any engineering, mathematics, or science course required for an ECE degree using this grade option. FYE Requirements, courses being used toward a minor, and courses that explicitly forbid pass/no pass are also excluded.
In the event that a student has completed all required engineering, mathematics, or science courses and wishes to take additional courses from these disciplines, he/she may then take these excess courses using the pass/no pass grade mode as they are then essentially complementary electives. Please note that ECE courses may only be completed in this grade mode under very limited circumstances as students must have completed all ECE requirements for their degree, including the minimum 47 (BSEE) or 49 (BSCmpE) ECE credits, prior to being eligible. Courses that are currently in progress do not count toward this eligibility requirement.
A maximum of 24 credit hours may be taken under the Pass/No Pass grade option and a grade of at least C- must be achieved in order to receive a “Pass.” Study abroad students should be particularly aware of this 24 credit limit.
Students taking a foreign language course for the purpose of receiving back credit (i.e., taking 20200 to get credit for 10100 - 20200) cannot use the Pass/No Pass option.
Students who are repeating a course must repeat it using the same grade mode as the original attempt.
To view the deadlines for when the grade mode of a course can be modified, please refer to the add/drop/modify calendars from the Office of the Registrar.