ECE 20008 - Electrical Engineering Fundamentals II LabLab Hours: 3 Credits: 1
CMPE Special Content Elective
Normally Offered: Each Fall, Spring
ECE 20007 and ECE 20002 [may be taken concurrently]
Requisites by Topic:
basic circuit analysis including dc, transient, and steady state sinusoidal analysis; basic laboratory instrumentation Concurrent Prerequisites: basic circuit models for diodes, unipolar and bipolar transistors; design of small signal amplifiers
This is a course in electronic measurement, circuit modeling, simulation and design techniques. These skills are developed through a variety of laboratory experiments including discrete semiconductor measurement, transistor amplifiers, motor control, and operational amplifier internals. The experiments develop practical skills through small design and soldering tasks. Finally, the course culminates in a two week group design project. In many ways this course is the laboratory of the co-requisite lecture course ECE 20002 Electrical Engineering Fundamentals II; however, we remind students that this is a standalone course that expects students will learn and demonstrate material not taught in other courses.
This course is an CMPE Core Course for catalog terms prior to Fall 2018. For Fall 2018 and later catalog terms it is a CMPE Special Content Elective.
Required Text(s): None.
- A lab manual will be provided for students.
Learning Outcomes:A student who successfully fulfills the course requirements will have demonstrated an ability to:
- competently select, use, and automate electronic measurement instruments. [1,6]
- design, wire, and troubleshoot electronic circuits. [1,6]
- simulate electronic circuits. [1,6]
- design, build, and test resistor-inductor-capacitor, operational amplifier, etc. circuits to meet specifications. [1,6]
- demonstrate knowledge of laboratory safety precautions. 
- maintain laboratory notes and create professional experiment reports. 
- demonstrate an ability to function on a team that draws on diverse backgrounds. 
|3||Operational amplifier circuits|
|4||FET curve tracer|
|5||Common source amplifier|
|7||MOSFET Operational Amplifier|
|8||Operational amplifier characterization|
|10||RLC step response|
|11||Switching: DC voltage regulation|
|14-15||Final project: Audio amplifier|
Engineering Design Content: