October 20, 2022
Job Opportunity for Students and Recent Graduates
|BS, MS, PhD
Job Opportunity for Students and Recent Graduates
My name is Jake Keiper, and our company HAMR Industries LLC is a small business currently recruiting for a job opening involving computational electromagnetics and finite element modeling.
We are searching to fill a full-time research engineer (B.S./M.S.) or research scientist (Ph.D.) position to support in Electromagnetic and Thermomechanical modeling. A strong candidate will have a background in Finite Element Modeling (FEM), Computational Electromagnetics (CEM) techniques and their implementation, optics/rf, mechanics, and/or similar areas. The position will initially focus on the development of FEM-based code and modeling tools for the design of multifunctional radomes, apertures, and windows, with additional support in thermomechanical FEM.
More can be found out about the position and our company here.
If you or any students have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at email@example.com or look through our website www.hamrindustries.com.
Jake G. Keiper
HAMR Industries LLC
Position: Research Engineer/Research Scientist
Project: Computational Electromagnetic and Thermomechanical Modeling
HAMR Industries is searching to fill a full-time research engineer (B.S./M.S.) or research scientist (Ph.D.) position. The successful candidate will work in a collaborative team to continue developing our capabilities in computational modeling, with an emphasis on finite element modeling (FEM) and computational electromagnetics (CEM). Potential applications may include metamaterials, optics, photonics, RF applications, extension of image based thermal and mechanical models, and multiphysics coupling. A strong candidate will have background in FEM, CEM techniques and their implementation, optics/rf, mechanics, and/or similar areas. Candidates are expected to be familiar with tools such as ABAQUS, Ansys HFSS, COMSOL Multiphysics, CST Microwave Studio, Lumerical, numerical modeling, and other similar tools and optimization techniques. In addition, candidates should be familiar with common engineering coding languages and environments, such as MATLAB, Python, and Mathematica for general scripting, data visualization/interpretation, problem solving, and debugging. The position will initially focus on the development of FEM-based code and modeling tools for the design of multifunctional radomes, apertures, and windows, with additional support in thermomechanical FEM.
Our company offers significant room for growth, a fulfilling workplace, and a strong collaborative environment which challenges team members to learn new skills and refine their capabilities. We aim to accommodate a more modern approach to the work environment and offer benefits such as Unlimited PTO, extended maternity/paternity leave, remote/hybrid work, and flexible work hours. In addition, HAMR is expanding to the Pittsburgh region to Neighborhood 91, which is a growing and novel campus dedicated to bringing advanced manufacturing to Pittsburgh. If this sounds interesting to you, you could be a part of our team!
General Roles and Responsibilities:
- Perform in-house project experimentation, testing, simulations, and review
- Update shared data storage and prepare progress updates
- Interface with collaborators and partners to maximize project utility, relevance, and performance
- Attend project meetings
- Assist writing intermediate and final reports as appropriate
- Support project scale up and commercialization as appropriate
- Perform internal R&D to bolster in-house capabilities and expand our reach
- Contribute to identifying and overseeing experimental and/or computational facility upgrades
- Assist in identifying and pursuing external funding opportunities via proposal preparation, review, and submission
Project Roles and Responsibilities:
- Continue development of an FEM-based CEM code/framework to predict radome performance
- Assist with coupling the EM code with thermal and mechanical FEM codes
- Evaluate and perform simulations and model validations for relevant EM problems
- Interface with collaborators and subcontractors on code development, experimental validations, and end-user experience/utility
- Develop front-end GUI interfaces and integration with common meshing and visualization tools
- Bachelor’s degree in computational electromagnetics, electrical engineering, optics, physics, or other relevant engineering or science fields (engineering science and mechanics, mechanical engineering, aerospace, etc.)
- 2+ years of experience developing and integrating computational methods and EM Modeling
- Experience working on research and/or engineering projects
- Expert with Microsoft Office suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Teams)
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- M.S. or Ph.D. in relevant field with pertinent research involving FEM and CEM techniques, implementation, and utilization
- 4+ years of experience developing and integrating computational methods and EM Modeling related to optics, photonics, metamaterials, and RF applications
- Basic familiarity with thermomechanical FEM
- Knowledge base in optimization, machine learning, and other advanced techniques
- Experience with electromagnetic design of radome and/or similar structures
- Familiarity with electromagnetic material properties and physics
- Personality and drive to perform in a small business and entrepreneurial environment operating under short project timelines with aggressive goals
- Strong desire to expand technical base and learn new skills and techniques, both experimental and computational
- Readiness to publish research in peer reviewed journals and assist in development of intellectual property
- Effective written and verbal communication skills including presentations, reports, e-mail, etc.
- Ability to communicate results at all technical levels
To adhere to U.S. Government International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
HAMR Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with HAMR Industries is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of HAMR Industries’ Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at HR@hamrindustries.com