The exam process for online students is designed to be both highly structured as well as efficient and supportive so that you're positioned to succeed. There are some steps you'll need to take to get set up for taking proctored exams:
- Identify an exam proctor and testing site in your area.
- Use this link: https://forms.office.com/r/qrLjZm3WMF to confirm or update your proctor and site each semester. This form should be filled out for every course requiring an in-person proctor, each semester.
A few business days prior to the exam, your exam proctor will receive an email notification that the exam is available to be accessed. The exam file will include a coversheet listing the materials you're allowed to have with you during the exam and the time limit for your exam. The instructor will announce prior to the exam what these details include.
On the day of the exam, you'll need to bring a photo ID and the allowed testing materials. Your proctor will confirm your identity, walk you through the exam process including reviewing the instructions on the coversheet, and provide you with a suitable testing area. Your proctor will initiate the timer for your exam, be present for the duration of your exam, and inform you when your time to complete the exam has expired.
Once your exam is complete, your proctor will upload it to the secure exam portal for grading.
Tips for a Successful Exam
Here are some things to keep in mind when taking exams as an online student at Purdue:
- If your exam is online, make sure your location has fast and reliable Internet.
- Make sure your testing site is in a quiet location.
- Remove from the testing facility any materials not approved by your instructor (cell phone, notes, textbooks, etc.)
- Plan accordingly, as you won't be able to take a break at any point throughout the duration of the exam.
Proctored Exam Process
Exam dates are set by the instructor. Exams are not emailed to your proctor. Exams are released to your proctor in advance through a Secure Exam Portal where they have access to in will retrieve and return to our office for grading and releasing to your professor/TA for grading. The student must have a proctor on file in order for our office to send the exam.
2. Our office will approve the proctor and send a confirmation to the student and proctor along with expectations and instructions on administering the exam.
3. The proctor will retrieve the exam from a secure portal and administer based upon the criteria from the exam cover sheet outlined by the instructor.
4. The student will take the exam on the day of the scheduled exam at a time that is convenient for both them and their proctor.
5. The proctor will return the exam to our office within the secure portal.
6. Our office will release the exam within the secure portal to the instructor for grading.
If your proctor has trouble accessing your exam they should contact PurdueOnlineExams@purdue.edu or by calling (765) 494-7015 if there are any questions about receiving, administering, or returning your exams. We cannot do any troubleshooting through the student, we must work with the proctor directly.
Review the Student Responsibilities for additional exam information.
Online Exam Process
Not all courses will have exams or have exams that require a proctor. If you have an online exam to be administered through Brightspace, you will continue to work with the instructor of the course and not our office.