- Select material systems for specific device performance and device designs
- Understand the origin of bandstructure and devices methods to design bandstructure through material composition, strain, and quantization effects.
- Draw band diagrams for any typical electronic device and infer device operations and device capabilities from such diagrams
- Fundamentally understand and have a mental picture for holes, electrons, density of states, doping, minority carriers, minority carriers, occupation, Fermi Level, Quasi-Fermi Level and associate specific device performance given a specific band diagram or device configuration.
- Utilize the set of semiconductor equations to compute electron and hole densities and to design classical devices such as diodes, transistors etc.
- Understand the concepts associated with thermally activated carrier distributions in doped homojunctions and heterojunctions and to device methods to optimize device performance
- Fundamentally understand PN-Junctions, BJTs, HBTs, MOScaps, and MOSfets in their performance limits and be able to expand on existing design concepts to improve performance.
- Understand typical quantum effects in modern devices such as tunneling and state quantization and devise methods to alleviate negative impact or utilize these quantum effects for new devices.
This course provides a relatively broad, moderate-depth coverage of semiconductor devices and related topics. The first portion of the course presents and examines semiconductor fundamentals required in the operational analysis of solid-state devices. A detailed examination of the PN junction diode and PN junction devices follows. The final portion of the course treats heterojunction surface devices including the Schottky diode, the MOS capacitor and the MOSFET.
Prerequisites:Vector algebra, differential equations, and some mathematical scripting languages will be helpful in some assignments (e.g. Python, Jupyter, MATLAB, Octave).
Applied / Theory:30 / 70
Homework:Weekly homework and approximately 2 short quizzes per week
Textbooks:Advanced Semiconductor Fundamentals, 2nd Edition, Robert F. Pierret, Publisher: Pearson, ISBN-13: 978-0130617927; full-text available online to Purdue students through the Purdue Libraries.
Semiconductor Device Fundamentals, Robert. F. Pierret, Publisher Addison Wesley, ISBN-13: 978-0201543933