Online Track Degree Requirements
About this track: This track is designed for students who want to earn a high-quality MSECE without relocating to campus. Typical students in this track work full time in industry.
Timeline: Students have up to 6 years to complete the MSECE. Most students working full time typically take one class or 3 credit hours each semester.
- Total credit hours: 30, including at least 15 credit hours of graduate-level ECE credits
Required ECE core courses: 2 (6 credit hours)
- One core course from the student’s primary area and a second that adds breadth of ECE knowledge.
Required math courses: 2 (6 credit hours)
These courses are offered online and can be used to fulfill the math requirement:
- MA 51100, Linear Algebra with Applications
MA 52700, Advanced Mathematics for Engineers I
- Not allowed for CNSIP area.
- If you have limited knowledge of linear algebra, MA511 is recommended first.
MA 52800, Advanced Mathematics for Engineers II
- Can be taken without taking MA511 or MA527 first.
STAT 51400, Design of Experiments
- Allowed only for CE area.
- These courses are offered online and can be used to fulfill the math requirement:
- Allowed graduate-level credit hours from outside ECE (ME, IE, CS, STATS, etc.): 9
- Sample plans of study for online students are provided. Note that these are just examples; you can create a plan of study that meets your specific needs, as long as it complies with the requirements above.
- Online Course Lists:
Frequently Asked Questions
Will my diploma state that I completed coursework online?
No. Additionally, we offer only one MS degree, the MSECE. All of our Master’s students earn the same degree, regardless of MS track.
What GPA do I need to earn the MSECE?
You must have a plan-of-study GPA of 3.0 to successfully complete the MSECE. Graduate-level transfer courses are not included in your GPA calculation.