HOW TO USE THE ELECTRONIC PLAN OF STUDY SYSTEM
Log onto MyPurdue, then:
- Click on the Academics tab
- click on "Plan of Study Generator"
This will bring you to the Purdue University Graduate School "Plan of Study Generator" main page -- several linked options are available:
- create a new plan of study
- update a saved plan of study or one submitted as draft
- display submitted forms (both plan of study and changes to plan of study)
- create or update a change request for current approved plan of study
- modify a rejected plan of study and resubmit
Once you have clicked on the "create a new plan of study" link, you will be taken to two separate pages to enter some basic information:
- campus - comes up automatically
- department - use the drop down box
- first semester of graduate study - date drop downs
Hit the "Process and Continue" button to move on.
- degree title drop down box -- make sure this is correct
- expected graduation date - more date drop downs
Once you hit the "process and continue" button a second time, you will be taken to the "create a new plan of study main page." This page has several major links, most of which are represented as checkboxes. Note that the first checkbox, student and degree information, is already checked as completed. You can, however, go back and modify this information by clicking on the link.
The checkbox links are:
- Student and Degree Information
- Research Project and Language Requirement
- Advisory Committee
- Comments/Special Notes (not required)
There are three other important links on the page:
- Electrical and Computer Engineering’s Plan of Study Guidelines and Requirements (takes you to ECE’s website)
- Preview Plan of Study - can be used at any point in the process
- Graduate School’s Policies and Procedures Manuel, Section VII
Buttons at bottom of screen:
- Save without Submitting - you can save at any time during the creation process using this button
- Submit as Draft
- Submit as Final
- Delete this Plan (if POS hasn’t been saved, it disappears)
Following is a detailed explanation for these links and buttons.CheckboxesStudent and Degree Information (covered in section 3, above)
Research Project and Language Requirement - Click on this link and you are taken to a page where several boxes appear for you to fill in information.
- In the research area box, indicate your primary area from the list of 8 ECE research areas (AC, BE, CS, CE, ES, FO, SS, VC)
- Do not indicate anything under "Area of Specialization" or "Other" unless the Graduate Office tells you to do so. (These spaces are only for those students specializing in computational science and engineering or manufacturing engineering.)
- Language Requirement - Leave this BLANK. We have a written English requirement, not a language requirement.
- Method to be used to meet requirement - Again, leave this blank.
- Hit "Process and Continue" when you are done.
You should be back to the "create a new plan of study main page." Now click on the "Coursework" checkbox link. This will take you to a courses link page, as follows:
Courses currently taken or those previously completed at Purdue University as a graduate student.
This link takes you to a page where the courses you have already completed and those you are currently taking are displayed. On this screen, you will need to go down the listing of courses and click to do the following:
- Indicate use - click if you intend to use the course on your plan of study
- Indicate primary, related, or not applicable - all POS courses are either primary or related.
- Indicate B or better - DO NOT click this, we require a "B" average, not "B" or better
- Courses currently taken or those previously completed at Purdue University as a graduate student.
When done, click "Process and Continue." This takes you back to the previous screen, and you can make you next course entry selections, as below.
Transfer courses and courses taken as excess undergraduate credit
Once clicked, this link takes you to a screen that allows you to enter transfer and excess undergraduate credit courses.
- To add a course, indicate Primary or related, the subject abbreviation, course number, credit hours, course title, institution name and grade as listed on your official transcript.
- Then use the drop down boxes to indicate session (semester, quarter, other), registration type (transfer or undergraduate excess), and date competed.
- Make sure to click on the "add" button at the far right edge of the screen!
- Transfer courses and courses taken as excess undergraduate credit
Courses to be taken in the future at Purdue University
Once clicked, this link takes you to a screen where you enter those courses you intend to take.
- Under "Area" indicate primary or related (do not use "not applicable")
- Use the drop down box to indicate the subject abbreviation.
- Type in the course number and credit hours in the appropriate column.
- DO NOT indicate "B" or better; we require a "B" average.
- Type in course title
- Indicate registration type by using drop down box - regular registration, non-degree registration, credit by exam, or other. In almost all instances, you will select the regular registration choice.
- Use drop down box to indicate semester to be completed.
- Use buttons to indicate MODIFY, DELETE or ADD.
- Courses to be taken in the future at Purdue University
Once you have added all the courses you intend to take, click the "Process and Continue" button. If no errors are generated, you will be taken back to the page that has the course entry links.
Note that an On-line course catalog link has been provided at the top of the screen for your convenience.
This page comes down in two screens - the top entry screen and the bottom faculty search screen
- First go to the search screen, and use the pull down menu to find our department (in alpha order)--highlight to bring it up, then click the search button.
- This will bring up the departmental listing of faculty in alpha order. Included in this listing is the department code (ECEN), and a five digit number called the faculty identifier. (C_ _ _ _ ).
- Once you’ve found your first committee member (I’d start with the chair), enter the department code and five digit faculty identifier for that member - the name will automatically appear in the appropriate box. Keep doing this until your entire committee has been added - then hit the "Process and Continue" button.
- This page comes down in two screens - the top entry screen and the bottom faculty search screen
- You cannot have a chair and a co-chair; it’s one chair or two co-chairs.
- Ph.D. students submitting their final plan can search other departments to find their outside members’ department codes and faculty identifiers.
- If you (or your major professor) would like someone outside of Purdue University to be a member of your committee, they must be specially certified to serve in this capacity. In this instance, ask to speak with the Graduate Office.
10. You should be back to the "Create a Plan of Study" main page. We strongly suggest that you preview your plan before continuing. This will allow you to view your entire plan of study, and see if there are any changes to be made. Clicking on the return button will bring you back to the main creation page with the checkbox links, and clicking on these links allows you to return to that section to make modifications.Buttons at bottom of the main "create a plan of study" page, and what they mean:
- Help - not that helpful, but better than nothing.
- Save without Submitting - you can save at any time during the creation process using this button - this is the option to use if you have not completed the entire form.
Submit as Draft - use this option when you are ready for the Graduate Office and your advisory committee to review your plan. Once you submit your plan as a draft, both the Graduate Office and your advisory committee will be notified via e-mail. In draft mode, you will be allowed to edit your plan of study. This is the time to consult with committee members about your plan.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure you ASK faculty to serve on your committee BEFORE they receive this e-mail notification.
- Submit as Final - Your plan should be submitted as final only after you have received approval from the ECE Graduate Office and your advisory committee. At this stage, you will not be allowed to modify your plan; it is exclusively for approval purposes. The only way to change the plan is to have a committee member (or the Graduate Coordinator) reject it.
Delete this Plan - If you delete the plan in draft mode or without saving in draft mode, it cannot be recovered. The plan cannot be deleted in final mode, but it can be rejected.
NOTE: A rejected plan of study (either by Graduate Office, advisory committee, or Graduate Coordinator) CAN be recovered. If your plan of study is rejected at any stage in the approval process, you will have to make the required changes before you will be allowed to continue.