Internships, Co-Ops, and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
ECE graduate students may be eligible for internships, co-ops, or curricular practical training.
If You Are Funded (TA, RA, or GA)
You must enter an unpaid leave request in Success Factors:
- Login into Success Factors.
- Click the Employee Launchpad tile.
- Click Request Time Off.
- Under Time Type, select Unpd > 22 Days Personal.
- Enter the start and end dates, and in the comments section, write Internship.
- Submit the request at least one month before your internship/co-op start date to ensure that the leave request is fully approved to prevent any overpayments.
- See the document Requesting Time Off for more detailed instructions on using Success Factors to request time off.
- If you are funded by an Engineering Department and have any questions, contact the Engineering Employment Operations Center.
If You Are an International Student
All international ECE graduate students on an F-1 visa who want to use Curricular Practical Training (CPT) to work as an intern outside Purdue in any given semester, including summer, must follow a specific process to obtain approval for CPT and must also register for a course.
Note that there is a fee to participate in an internship or co-op.
Start the process early and allow at least 2-3 weeks for processing.
Do the following:
- Review the information on this webpage, Curricular Practical Training, but do not yet follow any steps under How to Apply for CPT.
Obtain your job offer letter.
- The offer letter must include official beginning and end dates.
- A co-op offer must cover at least two semesters, either consecutive or alternating, and the last semester of the co-op needs to end before the following semester begins.
- Email Elisheba Van Winkle in ECE at firstname.lastname@example.org for the next steps.