Graduate Admission for Masters and Ph.D. Degrees
Criteria for Admission
While no single factor or score can characterize an applicant's probability for success, the following benchmarks may prove helpful.
- US applicants have an average GPA of 3.60 or higher.
- International applicants are typically in the top 5% of their graduating class, or higher.
- Typically, a 3.25/4.00 grade point average (GPA) is considered a minimum requirement for admission into the ECE graduate program.
While we do not have minimum scores, the Average scores for admitted students in previous semesters are approximately:
- 152 (Verbal)
- 166 (Quantitative)
- 3.6 (Analytical Writing)
International students must have:
TOEFL: (Required by Purdue University Graduate School)
- Computer based score of at least 230
- iBT overall minimum score of 77
- (iBT individual minimums: Writing = 18, Speaking = 18, Listening = 14, Reading = 19)
- IELTS minimum score = 6.5
- Please ensure you meet all minimum requirements BEFORE you apply to our program
TOEFL waivers will only be granted to the following:
- International students who have received a degree from a U.S. institution within 24 months, prior to applying.
- International students who have received a BS or higher degree within 24 months, prior to applying, from a university/college whose primary language of instruction is English in a country where English is the official language.
TOEFL: (Required by the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Besides satisfying the Graduate School minimum scores, the ECE requirement for the TOEFL Writing Score 22 for admission. However, ECE will make an exception to the required TOEFL Writing score of 22 for exceptional PhD applicants with financial support, and consider them for conditional admission.
- Please note – to be considered for a teaching assistantship you must submit the IBT TOEFL Speaking score of 23.
Applicants seeking possible funding are cautioned that successful applicants have qualifications that far exceed the minimum/average requirements of GPA,GRE, and TOEFL scores.
Only applicants who submit iBT scores will be considered for a TA.
Students applying for a Master's degree who have a strong undergraduate academic record will be reviewed for a Direct Ph.D. program as well.
If a Ph.D. is your ultimate degree objective, the direct Ph.D. option reduces your course requirements and can accelerate your progress towards the Ph.D. degree.
If you choose to do this, but your record is not strong enough to merit direct admission into the Ph.D. program, you will automatically be considered for admission to the Master's program.
Students admitted for a Direct Ph.D. begin working towards a Ph.D. immediately upon entrance into the Graduate School.