Greetings from the
Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering!
|Event Date:||October 20, 2005|
Greetings from Purdue's newest and only named engineering School,
The Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering.
We hope you enjoy our first Biomedical Engineering electronic newsletter. Our goal is to share the exciting and phenomenal growth happening at Purdue and in the School. Fall has been a very exhilarating time. Let me highlight a few significant milestones:
- One of the most tangible and truly unifying endeavors has been the construction of our new Biomedical Engineering building. As alumni, students, corporate partners, friends, faculty, and staff, it is a facility in which we can all take enormous pride. Furthermore, it is with great delight to report that the building is ahead of schedule and will be ready for occupancy this summer with a dedication to take place next fall.
- A gift announcement during homecoming from the Guidant Foundation helped us create Biomedship, a partnership between the Weldon School, the Krannert School of Management, and the Indiana University School of Medicine. Please read below more about this innovative program for students interested in biomedical entrepreneurship
- Our first undergraduate class is now in their junior year. Also, we have an excellent sophomore class, with a new crop of freshman anxiously awaiting to join the Biomedical Engineering student body that numbers nearly 100
- Over the course of the last year, we have hired 6 new faculty members and are on our way to recruiting a total of 20 additional faculty members. They bring a wealth of expertise in such areas as neuroengineering, biomechanics, drug delivery systems, tissue engineering, and flow cytometry
- One of the biggest attractions at Purdue for incoming faculty and students is Discovery Park. It provides the infrastructure for multidisciplinary research, teaching, and technology transfer. We are pleased to serve as the campus gateway to the park, enabling us to collaborate on novel ideas that will change the face of Purdue and help promote economic development in the State of Indiana and beyond
As always, we appreciate your support, advice, and guidance. Your participation is crucial to our continued success, and with your help we will reach even greater heights.