HOWTO: Configure the WINS Snap-In for Microsoft Management Console
If a domain has computer members that are not running Windows 2000 and are spread out across subnets, WINS can be used to perform NETBIOS name resolution, the primary method of name resolution in versions of Windows prior to Windows 2000. This article describes how to install and use the WINS snap-in with MMC. The WINS snap-in allows you to setup, view, and maintain records on WINS servers in the domain.
Installing the WINS Snap-In
Before you can use the WINS snap-in on a non-WINS server, you will need to make sure you have installed the Windows 2000 Administrator Tools. Once the tools are installed, a WINS icon will appear in the Administrative Tools folder in Control Panel. The snap-in is present by default on Windows 2000 WINS servers.
For information on installing the Windows 2000 Administrator Tools see the links at the bottom of this article.
Configuring the WINS Snap-In
Once you have WINS Manager installed, it can be used to view the status and configuration of WINS servers. Follow these steps to view the status of the ECN WINS servers:
- Bring up the WINS manager by clicking WINS in the Administrative Tools folder.
- Right-click on the WINS icon and choose Add Server.
- In the Add Server enter Pandora(220.127.116.11) in the WINS Server field and click OK. Repeat the procedure entering Endevor(18.104.22.168) instead.
Now that the servers have been added, you can look at the database and search for machine registrations. Refer to the help in the WINS manager for additional information.
Last modified: 2015/04/27 14:06:44.307026 GMT-4 by
Created: 2007/10/31 10:49:32.225000 GMT-4 by brian.r.brinegar.1.
- Knowledge Base > OS > Windows > Other
- Knowledge Base > OS > Windows > Server2003
- Knowledge Base > OS > Windows > XP
Type in a few keywords describing what information you are looking for in the text box below.