Undergraduate Requirements to Qualify a non-BSEE Student for the MSECE

Courses Required

A student who has been admitted to the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering as a Masters degree candidate and does not have an undergraduate degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering from an accredited institution may be awarded the MSECE degree if he or she fulfills the following undergraduate course requirements in addition to the degree requirements listed in the "Electrical and Computer Engineering Graduate School Master's Program Handbook" which is available in the ECE Graduate Office.

ECE 201, ECE 301, ECE 302
one of (ECE 305, ECE 311)
two of (ECE 255, ECE 270, ECE 321, ECE 382)
one of (ECE 362, ECE 368, ECE 369)
one undergraduate lab

Means of Fulfilling the Requirement

A student may fulfill the requirement for an undergraduate course by the following means:

  1. Taking the course and receiving a grade of B or better.
  2. For a course offering a comprehensive final exam, taking the final exam for the course and ranking in the top 30% of the class taking the exam. (This route is available only to students who are not taking the course.)
  3. Establishing that he or she has obtained a grade of B or better in an equivalent course.
  4. Taking a closely related graduate course (e.g., ECE201/ECE554, ECE558 ECE266/ECE559, ECE301/ECE638, ECE302/ECE600, ECE305/ECE606, ECE311/ECE604, ECE368/ECE608, ECE382/ECE602, ECE Lab/ECE557, ECE585) and receiving a grade of C or better.

The "Undergraduate Requirements Program" will be administered by the ECE Graduate Office.

Note: The purpose of the undergraduate requirements is to give substance to the claim that the person receiving the MSECE does indeed have an ECE background. The requirements are not related to the prerequisites for graduate courses. A student whose undergraduate degree is not in Electrical or Computer Engineering and who does not wish to complete the undergraduate requirements specified here may receive the MSE (for students whose undergraduate degree is in another engineering discipline) or MS (for students whose undergraduate degree is in a non-engineering discipline) degree. Students following the interdisciplinary program may receive the MSE or MS degree.