Graduate Student Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR)
WHAT IS THE REQUIRED RCR TRAINING?
- All Graduate Students: Complete the CITI online course on Responsible Conduct of Research Training – Faculty, Postdoctoral, and Graduate Course (CITI-RCR) within 60 days of starting your graduate study. The CITI-RCR online course includes 9 required modules. Each module takes approximately 30-60 minutes to complete and ends with a short multiple choice quiz. Students can enter, leave, and re-enter the course and each module as many times as they would like prior to taking the quiz. Students must achieve an average score of at least 80% on all quizzes in the required modules. When students have completed all the quizzes, they can print out a certificate of completion.
- In addition, mandatory for on-campus graduate students and optional for fully online students: Attend a follow-up seminar or workshop within the first year. The seminar or workshop may be given by the graduate program or the Graduate School either in-person or online. The seminar should be at least 60-90 minutes in length and allow students to ask questions and discuss RCR-related issues with the speaker.
HOW DO STUDENTS COMPLETE THE CITI ONLINE TRAINING REQUIREMENT?
- Visit www.citiprogram.org and select “Log In” and then “Log In Through My Institution.”
- Click on Purdue University. Log in with your BoilerKey and complete the registration process.
- Once logged in, click to add courses and select the Responsible Conduct of Research Training – Faculty, Postdoctoral, and Graduate Course.
- Complete all 9 modules (8 CITI and 1 Purdue). This will meet the CoE online training requirement.
At the completion of the CITI course, a certificate of completion will be displayed. You will need to print and submit or email a copy of this completion certificate to Robin Waling at email@example.com. This certificate is your only proof of completing the course, so do not miss this step!
HOW DO STUDENTS COMPLETE THE SEMINAR/WORKSHOP REQUIREMENT?
WHY DO STUDENTS NEED TO COMPLETE THIS TRAINING EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT CONDUCTING RESEARCH?
DOES THE CITI-RCR TRAINING EVER EXPIRE?
DO STUDENTS WHO HAVE TAKEN THE CITI ONLINE TRAINING AT A PREVIOUS INSTITUTION NEED TO TAKE IT AGAIN?
DO NON-THESIS STUDENTS NEED TO COMPLETE THE RCR TRAINING?
DO NON-DEGREE STUDENTS NEED TO COMPLETE THE RCR TRAINING?
DO STUDENTS EARNING THEIR DEGREES ONLINE NEED TO COMPLETE THE RCR TRAINING?
- Purdue University Graduate School RCR Information: https://www.purdue.edu/gradschool/research/rcr/index.html
- Purdue EVPRP RCR Information: www.purdue.edu/research/regulatory-affairs/integrity/responsible-conduct.php
- Questions on CoE requirements: Janet Beagle, Ph.D., Sr. Director of Graduate Programs, firstname.lastname@example.org.