Chemical Engineering Safety
To view the minutes from the Chemical Engineering Safety Committee meetings, please contact Dr. Gabriela Nagy in Forney G051.
ChE Safety Awareness Training – ChE Safety Awareness Training is required for all new employees including faculty, staff, researcher associates and students. Please contact Dr. Gabriela Nagy email@example.com for additional information and training dates.
- Training Offered by REM
- The material presented during the ISP info session held on May 27, 2015, can be accessed here.
ChE Safety Training Required for a Safe Return to Forney
Complete the following training modules and log the completion of this training for a safe return to campus operations:
- Complete the Covid-19 On-Site Specific Safety Training provided by Purdue (through SuccessFactors).
- Complete the ChE specific Annual Safety Refresher Training module (including the quiz) relevant for your role in the School and save a PDF copy of the email received upon completion of training.
- Complete the training on the Covid-19 Research Space SOP for your research space and document the training (if applicable).
- Complete the Lab Specific Chemical Hygiene Plan (CHP) training by reviewing your lab’s CHP and all relevant SOPs (if applicable).
- Complete the Lab Specific CHP Certification (page 87 of the Purdue CHP) and save a PDF copy.
- Read the “COVID-19 Specific Safety Policies and Protocols” (for Laboratory Based Research) in its entirety, if applicable.
- PDF copy of the email received upon completion of ChE specific Annual Safety Refresher Training
- Completed Lab Specific CHP Certification for the lab(s) you work in (if applicable)
Safety Policies Specific to Forney Hall
Safety Policies Specific to FRNY Building
These policies are in addition to the safety rules applicable at University level and to those found in the Purdue Chemical Hygiene Plan. More stringent rules, for a specific work area, may be put in place by our Faculty.
- COVID-19 Specific Safety Policies and Protocols (for Laboratory Based Research)
Laboratory Safety Requirements
- Safety Training (see ChE Safety Awareness Training above)
- Responsibilities of Safety Officers
- Guidelines for safety training of new researchers in ChE laboratories
Chemical Hygiene Plan
Every Purdue ChE laboratory is required to maintain a work-specific Chemical Hygiene Plan. The template above can be used as a starting point for creating a work area specific Chemical Hygiene Plan, which should be updated as necessary, but at least annually.
Safety Data Sheets (SDSs): printed or electronic copies
Every laboratory is required to maintain up-to-date printed or electronic copies of SDSs for all the chemicals that are used/stored in the laboratory. SDSs are typically available on vendor websites. Printed copies of SDSs are preferred, but electronic storage of these documents is also acceptable, as long as the guidelines below are followed:
- Chemical Inventory Form
Hazard Assessment/Appendix A3: Location/Template
The Hazard Assessment should be reviewed and updated annually or when new hazards are introduced to the laboratory.
Laboratory Door Posting
The Door Posting should be updated annually or when personnel changes occur in the laboratory.
- Eye washes should be flushed weekly.
- The area beneath safety showers marked by green and white tape should be kept clear at all times.
- Safety Gloves Selection Guide:
- Integrated Safety Plan Self-Audit Checklist
- Guideline for Use of Hydrogen and Flammable Hydrogen Gas Mixtures
- Gas Cylinder Handling Procedures for FRNY Building
- Building Emergency Plan (BEP) for FRNY Building
- Classroom Emergency Plans – College of Engineering
- Emergency Procedures – Purdue
- Emergency Procedures Handbook
Accidents Do Happen at Universities
Workplace Injury Information
- What to do in case of an incident:
- Worker's Compensation: Steps to Take if You Are Injured or Become Ill on the Job
- Where to Seek Medical Treatment
- Worker's Compensation Resource Packet for Supervisors
- REM Injury Portal
Purdue University Radiological and Environmental Management (REM)
(An organization that provides expertise in the areas of environmental, health and safety issues. First stop for Purdue EH&S information.)
- Guidance Document: Minors in Research Laboratories or Animal Facilities
U.S. Chemical Safety Board (CSB)
(An independent federal agency that investigates chemical accidents. Excellent source for accident information and videos.)
Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS)
(CCPS is an organization within AIChE that identifies and addresses process safety needs within the chemical, pharmaceutical, and petroleum industries.)
Safety and Chemical Engineering Education (SAChE) Program
(A cooperative effort between the Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS) and engineering schools to provide teaching materials and programs in process safety.)
Dow Lab Safety Academy
("Dow Lab Safety Academy” is a digital learning environment that shares Dow’s outstanding industrial safety culture and practices in a quick and accessible format. Here you can access dozens of videos featuring lab safety guidelines, and a collection of useful safety resources.)
- #21: FRNY Compressed Gas Cylinder Handling Procedures (April 2016)
- #20: FRNY Compressed Gas Cylinder Handling Procedures (November 2015)
- #19: FRNY Compressed Gas Cylinder Handling Procedures (October 2014)
- #18: UCLA fatality incident trial update
- #17: Indiana Mosquito Borne Diseases
- #16: Tippecanoe County Tornado Data
- #15: Nanoparticle Safety and Health Guidelines
- #14: Compressed Gas Cylinder Safety
- #13: Lead Content in Purdue Water
- #12: Slips, Trips and Falls
- #11: Purdue and West Lafayette Police Educate and Enforce New Crosswalks
- #10: Tornado Data for West Lafayette, IN
- #9: UCLA Fatality Investigation
- #8: Recent Bomb Threat
- #7: Emergency Shower Safety Incident at UCLA
- #6: Cell Phone Safety
- #5: Labeling and Waste Issues
- #4: E-mail and Cell Phone Weather Alerts Available
- #3: Hydrogen Fluoride and Hydrofluoric Acid
- #2: Emergency Preparedness
- #1: Hazardous Materials Movement by University Employees