MD/PhD - Medical Scientist Training Program
Welcome to the Medical Scientist/Engineer Training Program (MSTP) – a training program funded in part by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The program is a joint venture between Indiana University School of Medicine and the Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering at Purdue University.
If you are interested in becoming a physician scientist or physician engineer we are the program for you.
Highlights of our program include:
- Access to world-class research in both clinical and engineering settings in state of the art facilities on a daily basis.
- Diverse body of faculty and expertise across many disciplines.
- Vigorous research collaborations between faculty members in IUSOM and Biomedical Engineering for students in the MD/PHD program.
- High success rate of obtaining internal and external fellowships for students.
- Combines the strength of two top-ranked (nationally) schools.
- A unique PhD qualifying procedure that mentors students and helps in monitoring their progress in learning to think independently and to write proposals.
- MD/PHD students are well integrated with our graduate student community in BME.
- Strong grad student community and support while in medical school and graduate school.
- Safe and inexpensive living environments and close proximity to Chicago cultural events.