QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE
FOR ANY EMERGENCY:
WHAT TO DO...
- Activate the alarm
- When fire alarm is activated, evacuation is mandatory
- Call for help—dial 911
- Warn others
- Evacuate in accordance with the Building Emergency Plan or at the nearest exit
- Evacuate immediately—if possible take your belongings
- Evacuate to an area that does not impede responders
- Assist persons with disabilities, if possible
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS
- Do not re-enter the building until authorized by Public Safety officials
SHELTER IN PLACE—TORNADO WARNING
- If the All Hazards Sirens are activated or you are notified of a warning, immediately seek shelter in nearest facility
- Proceed to the lowest level. If a basement is not available, seek an interior hallway or small interior room on lowest level, away from windows and doorways
- All clear will be announced over the local TV and radio stations or expiration of the initial National Weather Service warning
SHELTER IN PLACE—HAZARDOUS MATERIALS (HAZMAT) RELEASE
- If advised to shelter for a HAZMAT incident, immediately seek shelter in nearest facility
- Close and lock all windows exterior doors, and any opening to the outside
- If possible, move to an interior room above ground floor with fewest windows and vents
- Do not leave the building until authorized by Public Safety officials
SHELTER IN PLACE—ACTIVE THREAT
- If advised to shelter for an active threat incident, immediately seek shelter in nearest facility
- If possible, secure yourself and others inside a room
- Do not leave your area until authorized by Public Safety officials
How you will be notified…Purdue ALERT (Our emergency warning notification system)
- All-Hazards Emergency Warning sirens: (Shelter In Place)
- Fire alarms: (Evacuate the building)
- Text messaging: Sign up via the Campus Status Page to receive an emergency notification text message.
- Twitter: Follow @PurdueEmergency to receive information on emergencies.
- Desktop Popup Alerts: Alert will be sent to the majority of University classroom & lab computers.
- Alert Beacons: Alert will be sent to the beacons that are installed in large classrooms.
- Email: An e-mail will be sent to all people with a purdue.edu address.
- Web: Purdue Campus Status page, www.purdue.edu/ea, is the focal point of the most complete information in all campus-related emergencies.
- Boiler TV: The Boiler Television Emergency Alerting System may also broadcast emergency information.
- Local Media: The University works with the news media, radio, TV, newspapers, and Internet, to help spread the word.
FOR MORE INFORMATION: http://www.purdue.edu/emergency_preparedness/
NON EMERGENCY PHONE #s:
Purdue Police Department: 494-8221
Purdue Fire Department: 494-6919
Physical Facilities Services: 494-9999
Radiological & Environmental Management: 494-6371