Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering
701 West Stadium Avenue
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2045
- B.S., Engineering Science & Mechanics, 1987, Univ. of Tennessee
- M.S.E., Metallurgical Engineering, 1990, Univ. of Tennessee
- Ph.D., Metallurgical Engineering, 1994, Univ. of Tennessee.
Professor Johnson works on development and processing of high temperature structural materials, including the development of specialized solidification processing techniques. The study of microstructural development in solidification and homogenization through modeling and experiment has been a recent focus. Other work examines the development of new light metal alloys, understanding defect formation during solidification, and aluminum extrusion.
- Aisling Coughlan, David Johnson, Heidi A. Diefes-Dux, K. Anna Douglas2, Kendra Erk, Tanya A. Faltens, and Alejandro Strachan “Enhanced Learning of Mechanical Behavior of Materials via Combined Experiments and nanoHUB Simulations: Learning Modules for Sophomore MSE Students ,” Mater. Res. Soc. Symp. Proc. (2015).
- M Heiden A Kustas, K Chaput, E Nauman, D Johnson, L Stanciu, “Effect of microstructure and strain on the degradation behavior of novel bioresorbable iron–manganese alloy implants,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 103 (2015) 738-745
- S Zhang, DR Johnson, MJM Krane, “Influence of riser design on macrosegregation in static castings, International Journal of Cast Metals Research, 28(1) (2015) 28-38.
- Pikee Priya, Matthew John M. Krane, David R. Johnson “A Numerical and Experimental Study of Homogenization of Al-Si-Mg Alloys,” in Light Metals 2014, Johsn Grandfield Ed., TMS (2014) 423-428.
- Yiwei Sun, David R Johnson, Kevin Trumble, Pikee Priya, Matthew John M. Krane,“Effect of Mg2Si Phase on Extrusion of AA6005 Aluminum Alloy,” in Light Metals 2014, Johsn Grandfield Ed., TMS (2014) 429-433.
- S. Zhang, J. Yanke, D. R. Johnson, M. J. M. Krane, "Modeling defects in castings using a Volume-of-Fluid method," Int. J. Num. Meth. Heat Fluid Flow, 24(2) (2014) 468-482. Google Scholar Citations
- MSE 230 Structure and Properties of Materials
- MSE 235 Materials Properties Laboratory
- MSE 430-440 Materials Processing and Design I and II
- MSE 367 Materials Processing Laboratory
- MSE 382 Mechanical Response of Materials
- MSE 536 Solidification Processing
- MSE 555 Deformation Mechanisms in Crystalline Solids
- MSE 556 Fracture of Materials