Zope: External Editor
What is ExternalEditor?
External Editor is a Zope Product which allows for the use of configurable helper applications. This allows you to select your favorite editor for each type of editable Zope object.
- Use vi to edit Python Scripts
- Use Adobe Photoshop to edit images
- Use an Office suite to edit your word processor or spreadsheet documents
Using Zope External Editor
ECN is currently in the process of deploying all necessary components for the External Editor to work correctly on centrally maintained Windows and Solaris machines. If you maintain your own machine you will need to install the helper application for External Editor.
If you are using an ECN Solaris or Linux computer, you will need to set up your web browser to properly use the zopeedit client-side script.
Here are the step-by-step configuration instructions for Firefox:
- From the Edit menu choose Preferences
- Choose Applications
- Click on the New Type button
- Enter a description, like "Zope Editor"
- You do not need to enter a file extension
For MIME type, enter
For Application, enter
When zopeedit runs for the first time, it will ask you enter the command for the editor that you use. Here are some examples:
xterm -e vi
Last modified: 2014/06/18 16:35:28.132069 GMT-4 by
Created: 2007/10/25 12:43:56.862000 GMT-4 by brian.r.brinegar.1.
Type in a few keywords describing what information you are looking for in the text box below.