Microsoft Teams at Purdue
Status of Microsoft Teams at Purdue
ECN Staff: See http://eng.purdue.edu/jump/2e85c34 for additional details (restricted page)
The following disclaimers are not intended to scare you, but we need to clearly illustrate the non-production nature of the MS Teams Environment..
MS Teams at Purdue is considered NOT FOR PRODUCTION USE. It is available for small groups to use as a means of collaboration and communication, but the following caveats apply:
- There is NO SUPPORT on campus for MS Teams problems - either at ITaP or at ECN.
- The requestor of the MS Teams Team is responsible for all support, questions and membership adjustments.
- There is no automated way to keep a group up to date based on status, title or other memberships. All group member changes must be done by the administrator of the Team.
- Copies of any documents that are shared inside of Teams must be saved in a space that is backed up by ECN if you wish to retrieve copies. ECN is UNABLE TO RESTORE LOST DATA FROM AN MS TEAMS INSTANCE
- MS Teams instances are NOT APPROVED for storage of Sensitive or Restricted data. Storing Proprietary/intellectual property data on Teams is at your own risk.
- If you are using another instance of Teams, and the Purdue instance does not behave similarly, do not expect a quick or timely fix.
- Inactive Teams teams are automatically deleted after some time (12 months, perhaps?). We cannot retrieve data from such Teams
A lot of this stems from the fact that Purdue's use of Microsoft products is set up in what can be described as a hybrid mode, and moving all Purdue services to an environment that Microsoft expects is a significant challenge.
If all of the above are OK and you are Faculty or Staff (students should request a Team through their advisor), you can proceed to request a MS Team by contacting ECN.
We will need the following information to create your Team(s):
Requestor (you) and any additional owners you would like. You can also add owners yourself.
Is this a Staff (includes Faculty, Staff but no Students) or Class account? While those are the two types most likely to be needed there are two other types: PLC and Other. A breakdown of the differences can be seen here: Before creating a new Team, you may want to familiarize yourself with the four types available to Education tenants, and what comes with each type of Team. A table view of the four types with permissions and features can be seen here: Choose a team type to collaborate in Microsoft Teams
Name(s) following the naming convention below:
Once a request is submitted we will reply if additional information is needed or to let you know the Team(s) has been created.
Microsoft Teams Online Training and Resources in Higher Education
Educator Center – Online Teams Courses
IT Professional Resources:
Last modified: 2020/04/24 09:16:41.535973 GMT-4 by
Created: 2020/03/09 08:26:19.707847 GMT-4 by sundeep.rao.1.
Type in a few keywords describing what information you are looking for in the text box below.