Mac Laptop Recommendations
ECN's User and Desktop Services group is frequently asked to provide specifications and Purdue pricing for new Macintosh laptop (notebook) computers. (Alternately, see our PC laptop recommendations.)
Should you consider an Apple iPad as a substitute for (or in addition to) a traditional laptop? See our iPad recommendations.
Mac interoperability issues
Incompatibilities and interoperability issues do arise between Macs and PCs. For example, because the Mac edition of Microsoft Outlook is architecturally different than Outlook for Windows and lacking comparable features, managing shared calendars is problematic. Microsoft PowerPoint has occasional trouble with presentations created in the PC edition (and vice versa). Some software might not be available for Macs. If you and/or your workgroup rely heavily on e-mail-, contacts-, and calendar-sharing features provided in ITaP's Microsoft Exchange server environment (as typically accessed using Microsoft Outlook on a PC), please contact ECN to discuss how or whether a new Mac would address these needs.
Faculty, staff, and graduate staff placing orders with Purdue funds should contact ECN for up-to-date pricing and to place all orders.
ECN recommends every current Mac laptop model, including the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Pro with Retina Display. To get a good estimate of current specs and pricing, visit this page: https://www.apple.com/us_edu_210880/shop
Memory upgrades and other options are available at additional cost. ECN purchases AppleCare (three-year warranty coverage) with every Mac.
When you're ready to order, please contact ECN to discuss your specific needs. We'll confirm the order details and ask you to provide the Purdue account number to be charged (working as needed with your business office). ECN will also handle placing the order.
Some additional caveats, in no particular order:
- Justifications are needed if the system will cost over $2500
- Apple store shipment estimates are NOT APPLICABLE to Purdue purchases - Expedited shipping is unavailable.
- With few exceptions, AppleCare+ is required for all Apple purchases
- AppleCare+ now covers onsite repairs for laptops(laptops purchased prior to July 2017 do not have this coverage)
- Please do not dial down specs in order to artificially save money - we've come up with minimum specs for good reason
- We would be happy to consult with you at any time in your purchase process - the earlier the better.
Last modified: 2018/02/09 14:36:51.977732 US/Eastern by
Created: 2010/04/02 13:06:27.042000 GMT-4 by john.a.omalley.1.
Type in a few keywords describing what information you are looking for in the text box below.