Transferring to the Lyles School of Civil Engineering

Students who have or are currently studying at another institution or a Purdue regional campus may be eligible to transfer to the Lyles School of Civil Engineering. Availability of physical facilities and other resource limitations shall determine the number of students that may be accepted for transfer into the program at any given time. Students who apply to transfer and are denied because of space limitations may reapply.

Minimum requirements to transfer into civil engineering

CE will consider transfer applicants that meet the following milestones:

  • 3.0 cumulative GPA and a grade point average of 3.0 or higher in all courses that apply to the BSCE plan of study
  • A minimum of 24 credits of equivalent coursework from the list below
  • Coursework must include equivalent courses that satisfy a significant fraction of Purdue University First Year Engineering requirements
  • In-progress courses may be included in the credit count, but we may not make a decision until final grades are received

At least 24 credits of equivalent coursework that includes the following:

  1. Calculus I: (MA 16100 or MA 16500)
  2. Calculus II: (MA 16200 or MA 16600)
  3. Calculus-based Chemistry: (CHM 11500)
  4. Calculus-based Physics: (PHYS 17200)

The remaining credits to meet or exceed 24 may be comprised from the following options and must include at least one English Composition, Speech or CE general education elective course:

  1. Science Elective: Chemistry II (CHM 11600) or 1 semester of computer science programming (programming content only)
  2. English Composition: 1 semester (meets Written Communication Core)
  3. Speech (meets Oral Communication Core) or CE general education elective
  4. Transforming Ideas to Innovations I: (ENGR 13100)3 - see course description below
  5. Transforming Ideas to Innovations II: (ENGR 13200)3 - see course description below

Transfer credit limit policy for upper-level courses

A maximum of ten (10) credit hours from another university or a regional campus may be used as approved substitutes for core CE courses at the 30000 or higher level or as approved technical electives.

Other resources