Tom Shih2009 - J. William Uhrig and Anastasia Vournas Head and Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics
DegreesFreshman Year, West Virginia University, 1971-72
B.S.E., National Cheng Kung University, 1976
M.S.E., The University of Michigan, 1977
Ph.D., The University of Michigan, 1981
Contact701 W. Stadium Ave.
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2045
Office: ARMS 3317
Office Phone: +1 765 49-43006
Office Fax: +1 765 49-40307
Interestsfluid mechanics, heat transfer, thermal management, turbine cooling
Awards and Major Appointments
- Ralph R. Teetor Award, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), Feb. 1986.
- Tau Beta Pi Teacher of the Year Award, College of Engineering, University of Florida, April 1988.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 1998.
- Tau Beta Pi, Eminent Engineer, 2008.
- Distinguished Engineering Educator Award, Engineers' Council of San Fernando Valley, Sherman Oaks, California, 2010
- Acorn Award - Seed for Success, Purdue University, 2010 and 2014
- Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 2011
- Energy Systems Award, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 2015
Current Advisory Service
- Exa Corporation (Corporate Advisor)
- External Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, The Ohio State University
- Review Board, AFRL Collaborative Center for Aeronautical Sciences
- Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Michigan State University
- Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical, Materials, and Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology
Current Professional Societies
- AIAA Ethics Committee
- AIAA Academic Affairs Committee (chair since 2016)
- AIAA Relevancy Working Group
- AIAA Executive Steering Committee for the AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition, 2012-15
- IGTI K-14 Committee
- Aerospace Department Chairs Association (chair, 2005-06)
- Mathematical modelling of fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and combustion problems.
- Develop numerical methods and codes (grid generation and “Navier-Stokes” solver) that can be used to study fluid flow, heat transfer, and combustion problems. Current focus is on verification, validation, and uncertainty quantification issues in CFD, methods that provide ? posteriori estimates of errors in CFD solutions, inflow/outflow boundary conditions for LES, and RANS/LES interface boundary conditions.
- Computational study of problems in aerodynamics (airfoils and wings with ice accretion, shock-wave/boundary-layer interactions with bleed, and mixed-compression inlets); energy, power, and propulsion systems (gas turbine combustors, piston and rotary engines, automotive torque converters, automotive clutches, liquid-ring vacuum pumps, thermoelectric power generators); cooling of gas-turbine hot section (blade-passage/endwall aerodynamics and heat transfer; internal and film cooling of turbine vanes, blades, and “edges”; conjugate heat transfer); two-phase flows (free-surface flows, objects impacting from gas into liquids, electrodeposition of colloidal particles; particle/particle and particle/fluid interactions in particle-laden flows, and atomization and sprays); materials processing (thermal spray forming, cold spray forming); and multifunction materials (thermal-fluid issues and energy harvesting).
Shih, T. I-P. and Durbin, P., “Modeling and Simulation of Turbine Cooling,” in Turbine Aerodynamics, Heat Transfer, Materials, and Mechanics, Editors: T. Shih and V. Yang, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, Vol. 243, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2014, pp. 389-421
Shih, T.I-P. and Yang, V., Editors, Turbine Aerodynamics, Heat Transfer, Materials, and Mechanics, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, Vol. 243, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2014
Zhang, J., Li, W., Shih, T.I-P., Zhang, Y., and Niu, Y., “Heat Transfer and Pressure Drop Characteristics of Condensation for R410A in a 3.78mm Circular Tube Under Normal and Micro Gravity,” ASME Paper HT2016-7045, ASME 2016 Summer Heat Transfer Conference, Washington, DC, 10-14 July, 2016.
Zhang, J., Li, W., Shih, T.I-P., Zhang, Y., and Niu, Y., “Numerical Simulation of Condensation for R410A in Circular and Square Mini Channels,” ASME Paper HT2016-7960, ASME 2016 Summer Heat Transfer Conference, Washington, DC, 10-14 July, 2016.
Lee, C.-S., Shih, T.I-P., and Bryden, K.M., “Estimating Over Temperature and Its Duration in a Flat Plate with Sudden Changes in Heating and Cooling,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 138, June 2016, 061007-1 to 061007-12 (doi: 10.1115/1.4032306).
Lee, C.-S., Shih, T.I-P., and Bryden, K.M., “Effects of Averaging the Heat-Transfer Coefficient on the Predicted Material Temperature and Its Gradient,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 139, Feb. 2017, 022002-1 to 022002-14 (doi: 10.1115/1.4034698).
Sathyanarayanan, S.K. and Shih, T.I-P., “Time-Accurate Conjugate Analysis of Transient Measurements of Heat-Transfer Coefficients,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 31, 2017, DOI: 10.2514/1.T4723 (https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.T4723).
Zhang, W. and Shih, T.I-P., “An Adaptive Downstream Anisotropic Eddy-Viscosity Model for Hybrid RANS/LES Simulations,” AIAA 2017-0977, AIAA Sci Tech, Jan. 2017.
Li, W., Zhang, J., Mi, Zhao, Tao, Z., Childs, P., and Shih, T.I-P., “The Effect of Gravity on R410A Condensing Flow in Horizontal Circular Tubes,” Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications, accepted.