Tom Shih2009 - Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics
DegreesFreshman Year, West Virginia University, 1971-72
B.S.E., National Cheng Kung University, 1976
M.S.E., The University of Michigan, 1977
Ph.D., The University of Michigan, 1981
Contact701 W. Stadium Ave.
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2045
Office: ARMS 3307
Office Phone: +1 765 49-45118
Office Fax: +1 765 49-40307
Interestsfluid mechanics, heat transfer, thermal management, turbine cooling
Awards and Major Appointments
- Ralph R. Teetor Award, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), Feb. 1986
- Tau Beta Pi Teacher of the Year Award, College of Engineering, University of Florida, April 1988
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 1998
- Tau Beta Pi, Eminent Engineer, 2008
- Distinguished Engineering Educator Award, Engineers Council of San Fernando Valley, Sherman Oaks, California, 2010
- Acorn Award - Seed for Success, Purdue University, 2010 and 2014
- Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 2011
- Energy Systems Award, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 2015
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Department of Mechanical Engineering, National Cheng-Kung University, 2016
Current Advisory Service
- NASA Advisory Council - Aeronautics Committee
- External Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Michigan State University
- Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical, Materials, and Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology
Current Professional Societies
- AIAA Terrestrial Energy System Technical Committee
- AIAA Committee on Standards in CFD
- AIAA Committee on Higher Education (chair since 2016)
- AIAA Ethics Committee
- AIAA Executive Nominating Committee
- ASME IGTI K-14 Committee
- Mathematical modelling of fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and combustion problems.
- Development of numerical methods and codes for the study of fluid flow, heat transfer, and combustion problems (grid generation and "Navier-Stokes" solver). Current focus is on verification, validation, and uncertainty quantification issues in computational fluid dynamics (CFD), methods that provide a posteriori estimates of errors in CFD solutions, inflow/outflow boundary conditions for large-eddy simulations (LES), and interface boundary conditions for hybrid methods that use LES and Reynolds averaged equations.
- Computational studies of problems in aerodynamics (airfoils and wings with ice accretion, control of shock-wave/boundary-layer interactions by bleed, and mixed-compression inlets for supersonic aircraft); energy, power, and propulsion systems (gas turbine combustors, piston and rotary engines, automotive torque converters, automotive clutches, liquid-ring vacuum pumps, thermoelectric power generators); cooling of gas-turbine hot section (blade-passage/endwall aerodynamics and heat transfer; internal and film cooling of turbine vanes, blades, and "edges"; conjugate heat transfer); multi-functional heat exchangers for aerospace applications; two-phase flows (free-surface flows, objects impacting from air into oceans, electrodeposition of colloidal particles; particle/particle and particle/fluid interactions in particle-laden flows, and atomization and sprays); materials processing (thermal spray forming, cold spray forming); and multifunction materials (thermal-fluid issues and energy harvesting).
- Lee, C.-S., Shih, T.I-P., and Bryden, K.M., “Effects of Averaging the Heat-Transfer Coefficient on the Predicted Material Temperature and Its Gradient,” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 139, Feb. 2017, 022002-1 to 022002-14 (doi: 10.1115/1.4034698).
Sathyanarayanan, S.K. and Shih, T.I-P., “Time-Accurate Conjugate Analysis of Transient Measurements of Heat-Transfer Coefficients,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, Vol. 31, 2017, DOI: 10.2514/1.T4723 (https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.T4723).
Li, W., Zhang, J., Mi, Zhao, Tao, Z., Childs, P., and Shih, T.I-P., “The Effect of Gravity on R410A Condensing Flow in Horizontal Circular Tubes,” Numerical Heat Transfer, Part A: Applications, Vol. 71, No. 3, 2017, pp. 327-340 (https://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10407782.2016.1264743).
Khan, T.A., Li, W., Zhang, J., Shih, T. I-P., “Local Vibrations and Lift Performance of Low Reynolds Number Airfoil,” Propulsion and Power Research, Vol. 6, 2017, pp. 79-90 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jppr.2017.05.001).
Town, J., Straub, D., Blak, J., Thole, K., and Shih, T.I-P., “State-of-the-Art Cooling Technology for a Turbine Rotor Blade,” ASME Paper GT2017-64728, Charlotte, NC, June 2017. Also, ASME J. of Turbomachinery, Vol. 140, No. 7, 2018, 071007-071007-12 (doi10.1115/1.4039942).
Stratton, Z.T. and Shih, T.I-P., “Effects of Density and Blowing Ratios on the Turbulent Structure and Effectiveness of Film Cooling,” ASME Paper GT2018-76170, Oslo, Norway, June 2018. Also, ASME J. of Turbomachinery, Vol. 140, No. 10, Oct. 2018, 101007-1 to 101007-12 (DOI is 10.1115/1.4041218).
Stratton Z. and Shih, T.I-P., “Identifying Weaknesses in Eddy-Viscosity Models for Predicting Film Cooling by Means of Large-Eddy Simulations,” AIAA J. of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 35, No. 3, May 2019 (DOI: 10.2514/1.B37314).
Hu, K.S.-Y., Chi, X., Shih, T.I-P., Chyu, M., and Crawford, M., “Steady RANS of Flow and Heat Transfer in a Smooth and Pin-Finned U-Duct with a Trapezoidal Cross Section,” ASME J. of Engineering for Gas Turbine and Power, Vol. 141, June 2019, pp. 061009-1 to 061009-11 (DOI: 10.1115/1.4042332).
Liu, J., Peck, J., Yazawa, K., Fisher, T.S., and Shih, T. I-P., “Bypass, Loss, and Heat Transfer in Surface Coolers Used in Aircraft,” Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 5, Article 46, July 2019 (DOI: 10.3389/fmech.2019.00046).
Pardeshi, I. and Shih, T. I-P., “Modeling Extent of Aeration between a Rotating and a Nonrotating Disk Involving Liquid-Gas Flow,” ASME J. of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 141, No. 12, Dec. 2019, pp. 121303-1 to 121303-6 (DOI: 10.1115/1.4043985).
Pardeshi, I. and Shih, T.I-P., “A Computational Fluid Dynamics Methodology for Predicting Aeration in Wet Friction Clutches,” ASME J. of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 141, No. 12, Dec. 2019, pp. 121304-1 to 121303-7 (DOI: 10.1115/1.4044071).
Lee, Chien-Shing, Shih, T.I-P., Bryden, Kenneth M., and Dennis, Richard A., “Effects of High Heating Loads on Unsteady Flow and Heat Transfer in a Cooling Passage with a Staggered Array of Pin Fins,” ASME Paper GT2019-90567, Phoenix, AZ, June 2019.
Stratton, Z.T. and Shih, Tom, I-P., “Effects of Velocity Ratio on Trends in Film-Cooling Adiabatic Effectiveness and Turbulence,” ASME Paper GT2019-90943, Phoenix, AZ, June 2019.
Lee, Chien-Shing, Bryden, K. Mark, and Shih, Tom, I-P., “Strongly Heated Turbulent Boundary Layer in a Channel with Staggered Pin Fins,” AIAA Paper 2019-4180, 2019 AIAA Propulsion and Energy Forum and Exposition, Indianapolis, August 19-22, 2019