Tom Shih2009 - Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics
DegreesFreshman Year, West Virginia University, 1971-72
B.S.E., National Cheng Kung University, 1976
M.S.E., The University of Michigan, 1977
Ph.D., The University of Michigan, 1981
Contact701 W. Stadium Ave.
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2045
Office: ARMS 3307
Office Phone: +1 765 49-45118
Office Fax: +1 765 49-40307
Interestscomputational fluid dynamics and heat transfer, thermal management, gas turbine aero-thermal, control of shock-wave/boundary-layer interactions, aircraft icing
Awards and Major Appointments
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA)
- 2015 AIAA Energy Systems Award
- 2020 AIAA Thermophysics Award
Current Advisory Service
- NASA Advisory Council - Aeronautics Committee
- Review Board, Collaborative Center for Aeronautical Sciences, Air Force Research Laboratory
- External Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Michigan State University
- Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical, Materials, and Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology
Current Editorial Service
- Editor-in-Chief, AIAA Journal
- Associate Editor/Editorial Board, International Journal of Energy for a Clean Environment, 2019-present
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Aerospace Systems, 2018-present
- Associate Editor, Journal of Propulsion and Power Research, 2012-present
- Editorial Board, Journal of Zhejiang University – Science A – Applied Physics and Engineering, 2009-present
- Editorial Board, Journal of the Chinese Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2002-present
Current Professional Societies
- AIAA Terrestrial Energy System Technical Committee
- AIAA Committee on Standards in CFD
- AIAA Committee on Higher Education (chair since 2016)
- ASME IGTI K-14 Committee
JournalsStratton Z. and Shih, T.I-P., “Identifying Weaknesses in Eddy-Viscosity Models for Predicting Film Cooling by Means of Large-Eddy Simulations,” AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 35, No. 3, May 2019, pp. 583-594 (DOI: 10.2514/1.B37314).
Hu, K.S.-Y., Chi, X., Shih, T.I-P., Chyu, M., and Crawford, M., “Steady RANS of Flow and Heat Transfer in a Smooth and Pin-Finned U-Duct with a Trapezoidal Cross Section,” ASME Paper GT2018-75530, Oslo, Norway, June 2018. Also, ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, Vol. 141, June 2019, pp. 061009-1 to 061009-11 (DOI: 10.1115/1.4042332).
Liu, J., Peck, J., Yazawa, K., Fisher, T.S., and Shih, T. I-P., “Bypass, Loss, and Heat Transfer in Surface Coolers Used in Aircraft,” Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering, Vol. 5, Article 46, July 2019 (DOI: 10.3389/fmech.2019.00046).
Pardeshi, I. and Shih, T. I-P., “Modeling Gas-Liquid Flow between Rotating and Nonrotating Annular Disks,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 141, No. 12, Dec. 2019, pp. 121303-1 to 121303-6 (DOI: 10.1115/1.4043985).
Pardeshi, I. and Shih, T.I-P., “A Computational Fluid Dynamics Methodology for Predicting Aeration in Wet Friction Clutches,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 141, No. 12, Dec. 2019, pp. 121304-1 to 121303-7 (DOI: 10.1115/1.4044071).
Pandey, A., Khan, S., Dekker, R., and Shih, T.I-P., “Multiphase Flow in a Liquid-Ring Pump,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 143, pp. 011404-1 to 13, Jan. 2021 (DOI: 10.1115/1.4047848).
Lin, Y., Luo, Y., Li, W., Cao, Y., Tao, Z., and Shih, T.I-P., “Single-phase and Two-phase Flow and Heat Transfer in Microchannel Heat Sink with Various Manifold Arrangements,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 171, 2021 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2021.121118).
Zhang, W. and Shih, T.I-P., “Adaptive Downstream Tensorial Eddy Viscosity for Hybrid LES-RANS Simulations,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, Vol. 93, No. 6, June 2021, pp. 1825-1842 (DOI: 10.1002/fld.4954).
Lee, C.-S. and Shih, T. I-P., “Effects of Heat Loads on Flow and Heat Transfer in the Entrance Region of a Cooling Duct with a Staggered Array of Pin Fins,” International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer,” Vol. 175, 2021 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2021.121302).
Conference Proceedings, Presentations, Invited Lectures
Conference Proceeding PapersLee, Chien-Shing, Shih, T.I-P., Bryden, Kenneth M., and Dennis, Richard A., “Effects of High Heating Loads on Unsteady Flow and Heat Transfer in a Cooling Passage with a Staggered Array of Pin Fins,” ASME Paper GT2019-90567, Phoenix, AZ, June 2019.
Stratton, Z.T. and Shih, Tom I-P., “Effects of Velocity Ratio on Trends in Film-Cooling Adiabatic Effectiveness and Turbulence,” ASME Paper GT2019-90943, Phoenix, AZ, June 2019.
Lee, Chien-Shing, Bryden, K. Mark, and Shih, Tom I-P., “Strongly Heated Turbulent Boundary Layer in a Channel with Staggered Pin Fins,” AIAA Paper 2019-4180, 2019 AIAA Propulsion and Energy Forum and Exposition, Indianapolis, August 19-22, 2019.
Peck, J., Liu, J., Bryden, K.M., and Shih, T.I-P., “Methods for Measuring and Computing the Adiabatic Wall Temperature,” ASME Paper GT2020-14169, London, England, June 2020.
Lee, C.-S., Bryden, K.M., and Shih, T.I-P., “Downstream Vortex Generators to Enhance Film-Cooling Effectiveness,” ASME Paper GT2020-14317, London, England, June 2020.
Khadese, A., Vesely, L., Sherwood, J., Curbelo, A., Goyal, V., Raju, N., Kapat, J.S., Kim, W., and Shih, T. I-P., “Study of Buoyancy Effects on Supercritical CO2 Heat Transfer in Circular Pipes,” ASME Paper GT2020-15523, London, England, June 2020.