Semester Exchange at Shanghai Jiao Tong University

Information on Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China. 

It is strongly recommended for students interested in this program to register for ENGR 29701 – Global Engineering Orientation (1 cr.) in the Fall semester prior to studying abroad. The ENGR 29701 course prepares students in a variety of ways (cultural training, some language training, applications for visa, etc.), which can substantially reduce the burden and stress of preparing to study abroad.


Program Focus

In collaboration with Purdue ECE, ME, & BME


Sixth Semester Plan

Course ID Course Title Credit Hours Requisites
IE 33600 Operations Research – Stochastic Models 3 IE 23000; MA 26500; MA 26600 (co-requisite)
IE 37000 Manufacturing Processes I 3 ME 27000; NUCL 27300 (co-requisite)
ME 20000 Thermodynamics I 3 CHM 11500, MA 26100 (co-requisite), ENGR 13200 (co-requisite)
ME 49700 Intercultural Teamwork (IE Gen Ed) 3  
TE   3  

Sample Degree Map for Semester Exchange at SJTU

Students would select a plan of study that fulfills at least 12 cr. of coursework. 


Pre-Approved Courses*:

Courses are typically 3 credit hours each.

Shanghai Jiao Tong University Course

Purdue Equivalent Course
IO 317 - Stochastic Modeling IE 33600 – Operations Research – Stochastic Models
ME 373 - Manufacturing Processes I IE 37000 – Manufacturing Processes I
BUS 354 - Quality Management IE 49000 – Quality Management
ME 345 - Engineering Material IE 49000 – Structure and Properties of Materials
  Some non-major courses may be approved. Check with your advisor.

*Contingent on availability.



  • Meet with your IE academic advisor to discuss if and how this opportunity will work for you
  • Register for the appropriate study abroad program for Shanghai Jiao Tong University
  • Complete any required documents necessary for enrollment and travel