Final Examination Requirements for Thesis Master's Degree
Request a Final Examination
Before requesting the Final Examination, the following conditions must first be fulfilled:
- If needed, a Change to Plan of Study must be completed and fully approved at least one week prior to the start of the term in which the final exam will be taken;
- Student must be registered for the term in which the final exam will be taken;
- Student must declare graduation candidacy unless the thesis won’t be deposited until the following semester (see section 3.4 of the handbook);
- The Examining Committee must be established prior to requesting the final exam with at least 51% of the committee members having regular graduate faculty certification.
The student must submit a formal thesis document to each member of the Final Examination Committee at least three weeks prior to the scheduled oral final examination.
- The thesis document must conform with the regulations outlined in “A Manual for the Preparation of Graduate Theses,” which can be found at https://www.purdue.edu/gradschool/research/thesis/index.html
Scheduling the Final Examination
A student must contact the IE Graduate Office at least three weeks prior to the proposed date of their exam to complete scheduling.
Send a scheduling request via email to the IE Graduate Office including:
- Examination date and time o Documentation of the committee’s agreement on examination date and time (e.g., email copy or Doodle screenshot)
- Thesis title for the examination
- Copy of thesis draft in PDF
- If opting to use Zoom, the student will provide the Zoom link to the IE Graduate Office; the student will be the host and facilitator. Proper virtual meeting etiquette is expected.
- To view deadlines administered by the Graduate School, see the Graduate School Deadline Calendar.
- Note: IE graduate students must take the final examination at least TWO WEEKS BEFORE the Graduate School’s deadline in order to obtain signatures by the deadline.
- Complete the Graduate School Exit Questionnaire before the final exam.
- Contact the IE Graduate Office directly if you need the Head’s signature on any documents. DO NOT contact the IE Head.
IE Grad Office Responcibilities:
- The IE Graduate Office will reserve a room for the exam.
- The IE Graduate Office will initiate the form 8 in the Graduate School Plan of Study Generator on behalf of the student once the student provides the necessary details listed above.
- The IE Graduate Office will remind committee members about upcoming examinations.
- The IE Graduate Office will follow up with the IE Head if their signature is needed on any forms.
The Thesis & Dissertation Office requires an electronic thesis acceptance form (ETAF). For more information on ETAF and thesis/dissertation deposit, see section 4.4 of the handbook and the Thesis/Dissertation Office.
The student must also submit a handbound, printed copy of their dissertation to the School of Industrial Engineering Graduate Office.For printing and binding information, contact Purdue Print and Digital Services by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 765-494-2006.