Professor and Fehsenfeld Family Head of Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Personal Web Sitehttps://engineering.purdue.edu/LSM
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1987
- M.S., Industrial Engineering,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1982
- B.S., Industrial Engineering,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1980
Professor Sutherland's research is focused on environmentally responsible design and manufacturing. Specific initiatives that he has pursued include: promoting closed loop material cycles through remanufacturing and recycling, pursuing more energy efficient and reduced environmental footprints of manufacturing processes, planning the logistics of biofuel production, developing indicators for corporate assessment of social sustainability, and investigating sources of manufacturing airborne emissions.
- Duflou, J. R., J. W. Sutherland, D. Dornfeld, C. Herrmann, J. Jeswiet, S. Kara, M. Hauschild, and K. Kellens, “Towards Energy and Resource Efficient Manufacturing: A Processes and Systems Approach,” CIRP Annals - Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 61/2, 2012, pp. 587-609.
- Haapala, K.R., A.V. Catalina, M.L. Johnson, J.W. Sutherland, “Development and Application of Models for Steelmaking and Casting Environmental Performance,” ASME J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Vol. 134/5, Oct. 2012, CID-051013.
- Ortegon, K., L. F. Nies, J. W. Sutherland, “Preparing for End of Service Life of Wind Turbines,” J. of Cleaner Production, Vol. 39, Jan. 2013, pp. 191-199.
Awards and Honors
- National Academy of Engineering (NAE) Member, 2023
- Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (AEESP), Frederick George Pohland Medal, 2022
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), 2022
- Society of Manufacturing Engineers (SME) Gold Medal, 2018
- Seed of Success, 2014
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), William T. Ennor Manufacturing Technology Award, 2013
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), International John Connor Environmental Award, 2010
- SME Education Award, 2009
- SAE Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, 1999
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), 1996
- SME Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer Award, 1992