Visiting Assistant Professor of Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Personal Web Sitehttps://calendly.com/jmulrow/mulrow-office-hours
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2020
- M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Chicago, 2016
- B.S., Earth Systems, Stanford University, 2009
Research interests include the ecological risks and opportunities of decarbonization, electrification and efficiency gains; building on the tools of life cycle assessment (LCA) and greenhouse gas footprinting; filling methodological gaps in environmental impact assessment, especially those that ignore macro-scale effects of increasing affluence, convenience, and efficiency. Recent research focused on the transportation sector, especially the impact of building out and operating electric vehicle charging infrastructure.
- Mulrow, J.; Gali, M.; Grubert, E. The Cyber-Consciousness of Environmental Assessment: How Environmental Assessments Evaluate the Impacts of Smart, Connected, and Digital Technology. Environ. Res. Lett. 2021, 17 (1), 013001. https://doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/ac413b.
- Mulrow, J.; Kshetry, N.; Brose, D. A.; Kumar, K.; Jain, D.; Shah, M.; Kunetz, T. E.; Varshney, L. R. Prediction of Odor Complaints at a Large Composite Reservoir in a Highly Urbanized Area: A Machine Learning Approach. Water Environment Research 2020, 92 (3), 418–429. https://doi.org/10.1002/wer.1191.
- Mulrow, J.; Derrible, S. Is Slower More Sustainable? The Role of Speed in Achieving Environmental Goals. Sustainable Cities and Society 2020, 57, 102030. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scs.2020.102030.
- Mulrow, J.; Machaj, K.; Deanes, J.; Derrible, S. The State of Carbon Footprint Calculators: An Evaluation of Calculator Design and User Interaction Features. Sustainable Production and Consumption 2019, 18, 33–40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spc.2018.12.001.
- Mulrow, J.; Derrible, S.; Samaras, C. Sociotechnical Convex Hulls and the Evolution of Transportation Activity: A Method and Application to US Travel Survey Data. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 2019, 149, 119789. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2019.119789.
- Lee, D.; Mulrow, J.; Haboucha, C.; Derrible, S.; Shiftan, Y. Attitudes on Autonomous Vehicle Adoption Using Interpretable Gradient Boosting Machine. Transportation Research Record 2019, No. 19–02893.
- Chance, E.; Ashton, W.; Pereira, J.; Mulrow, J.; Norberto, J.; Derrible, S.; Guilbert, S. The Plant—An Experiment in Urban Food Sustainability. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy 2018, 37 (1), 82–90. https://doi.org/10.1002/ep.12712.
- Mulrow, J.; Derrible, S.; Ashton, W. S.; Chopra, S. S. Industrial Symbiosis at the Facility Scale. Journal of Industrial Ecology 2017, 21 (3), 559–571. https://doi.org/10.1111/jiec.12592.
Awards and Honors
- U.S. Army Engineer School, Girdano Leadership Award, 2020
- NASA Illinois Space Grant Fellow, 2019
- Pat Tillman Foundation Scholar, 2018
- NSF Graduate Research Fellow, 2015-2017