Fabio H. Ribeiro
R. Norris and Eleanor Shreve Professor of Chemical Engineering
School of Chemical Engineering
Forney Hall of Chemical Engineering
480 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2100
Our general research interest is in the kinetics of heterogeneous catalytic processes. Heterogeneous catalysis will continue to be a key technology for the foreseeable future, especially as environmental regulations become more stringent and we look into transforming biomass into fuels. We study fundamental aspects of problems of current interest and employ a wide range of research approaches based on our previous research background in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry and industrial practice. We work by combining measurements on high surface area catalyst with the ones on flat, non-porous replicas of the catalyst that are optimized for surface science analysis. Modeling the kinetics and calculating kinetic parameters by first-principle methods complements the experimental effort. One area of particular interest is the development of techniques and equipment fabrication to study catalysts under dynamic reaction conditions.
Our fundamental approach to problems has made interactions with industry quite effective. We usually involve industrial partners in our research. We have been working in the areas of, catalytic combustion of hydrocarbons, water-gas shift reaction for fuel cell applications, partial oxidation of hydrocarbons, NOx traps for automotive applications and transformation of biomass into fuels.
We are a part of the Purdue Catalysis Center, which fosters interaction among faculty and students in catalysis research groups by collaborating on research projects, sharing resources and facilities, and holding weekly joint group meetings.
- Jonatan Albarracin-Caballero
- Richard S. Caulkins
- Harshavardhan Choudhari (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass and Rakesh Agrawal)
- John Degenstein (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass and Rakesh Agrawal)
- Yanran Cui (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass)
- Viktor Cybulskis (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass)
- Michael Detwiler (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass)
- Mckay Easton (co-advised with John Nash and Jeffrey Greeley)
- James Harris (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass)
- Ishant K. Khurana (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass)
- Zhe Li
- Cory A. Milligan (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass)
- Christopher Paolucci (visiting Student)
- Atish Parekh (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass)
- Shankali Pradhan (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass)
- Kaiwalya Sabnis (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass)
- Arthur Shih (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass and Rajamani Gounder)
- Ian Smith (co-advised with Nicholas Delgass)
- Han-Ting Tseng
- Juan Jose Lovon Quintana (Visiting Student)
- Caio Luis S. Silva (Visiting Student)
Awards and Honors
"Isolation of the Cu redox steps in standard SCR on Cu-SSZ-13," C. Paolucci, A. A. Verma, S. A. Bates, V. F. Kispersky, J. T. Miller, R. Gounder, W. N. Delgass, F. H. Ribeiro, and W. F. Schneider, Angewandte Chemie, 53 (44), 11828 –11833, 2014.
"Gas Phase Epoxidation of Propylene in the Presence of H2 and O2 over Small Gold Ensembles in Uncalcined TS-1," W. Lee, M. C. Akatay, E. A. Stach, F. H. Ribeiro and W. N. Delgass, Journal of Catalysis, 313, 104–112, 2014.
"Gas mixing system for imaging of Nanomaterials under Dynamic Environments by Environmental Transmission Electron Microscopy," M. C. Akatay, Y. Zvinevich, F. H. Ribeiro, E. A. Stach, Review of Scientific Instruments, 85, 033704, 2014.
"High-pressure fast-pyrolysis, fast-hydropyrolysis and catalytic hydrodeoxygenation of cellulose: Production of liquid fuel from biomass," V. K. Venkatakrishnan, J. C. Degenstein, A. D. Smeltz, W. N. Delgass, R. Agrawal and F. H. Ribeiro, Green Chemistry, 16 (2), 792 – 802, 2014.
"Structural and Catalytic Differences in the Effect of Co and Mo as Promoters for Pt-Based Aqueous Phase Reforming Catalysts," P. J. Dietrich, F. G. Sollberger, M. C. Akatay, E. A. Stach, W. N. Delgass, J. T. Miller, F. H. Ribeiro, Applied Catalysis B, 156–157, 236–248, 2014.