Tom Shih2009 - Professor and Head, School of Aeronautics and Astronautics
DegreesFreshman Year, West Virginia University, 1971-72
B.S.E., National Cheng Kung University, 1976
M.S.E., The University of Michigan, 1977
Ph.D., The University of Michigan, 1981
Contact701 W. Stadium Ave.
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2045
Office Phone: +1 765 49-43006
Office Fax: +1 765 49-40307
Interestsfluid mechanics, heat transfer, thermal management, turbine cooling
Awards and Major Appointments
- Ralph R. Teetor Award, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), Feb. 1986.
- Tau Beta Pi Teacher of the Year Award, College of Engineering, University of Florida, April 1988.
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), 1998.
- Tau Beta Pi, Eminent Engineer, 2008.
- Distinguished Engineering Educator Award, Engineers' Council of San Fernando Valley, Sherman Oaks, California, 2010
- Acorn Award - Seed for Success, Purdue University, 2010 and 2014
- Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 2011
- Energy Systems Award, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), 2015
Current Advisory Service
- Exa Corporation (Corporate Advisor)
- External Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical Engineering, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, The Ohio State University
- Review Board, AFRL Collaborative Center for Aeronautical Sciences
- Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Michigan State University
- Advisory Board, Department of Mechanical, Materials, and Aerospace Engineering, Illinois Institute of Technology
Current Professional Societies
- AIAA Ethics Committee
- AIAA Academic Affairs Committee (chair since 2016)
- AIAA Relevancy Working Group
- AIAA Executive Steering Committee for the AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition, 2012-15
- IGTI K-14 Committee
- Aerospace Department Chairs Association (chair, 2005-06)
- Mathematical modelling of fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and combustion problems.
- Develop numerical methods and codes (grid generators and Navier-Stokes solver) that can be used to study steady and unsteady, multidimensional fluid flow problems that can be laminar or turbulent, reacting or nonreacting, single- or multi-phase. Current focus is on verification, validation, and uncertainty quantification issues in CFD, methods that provide a posteriori estimates of errors in CFD solutions, inflow/outflow boundary conditions for LES, and RANS/LES interface boundary conditions.
- Computational study of problems in aerodynamics (airfoils and wings with ice accretion, shock-wave/boundary-layer interactions with bleed, and mixed-compression inlets); energy, power, and propulsion systems (gas turbine combustors, piston and rotary engines, automotive torque converters, automotive clutches, liquid-ring vacuum pumps, thermoelectric power generators); cooling of gas-turbine hot section (blade-passage/endwall aerodynamics and heat transfer; internal and film cooling of turbine vanes, blades, and "edges"; and conjugate heat transfer); two-phase flows (free-surface flows, objects impacting from gas into liquids, electrodeposition of colloidal particles; particle/particle and particle/fluid interactions in particle-laden flows, and atomization and sprays); materials processing (thermal spray forming, cold spray forming); and multifunction materials (thermal-fluid issues and energy harvesting).
Shih, T. I-P. and Durbin, P., “Modeling and Simulation of Turbine Cooling,” in Turbine Aerodynamics, Heat Transfer, Materials, and Mechanics, Editors: T. Shih and V. Yang, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, Vol. 243, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2014, pp. 389-421
Shih, T.I-P. and Yang, V., Editors, Turbine Aerodynamics, Heat Transfer, Materials, and Mechanics, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, Vol. 243, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2014
Sathyanarayanan, S.K., Ramachandran, S.G., and Shih, T.I-P., “Time-Accurate CFD Conjugate Analysis of Transient Measurements of the Heat-Transfer Coefficient,” AIAA Paper 2015-1195, AIAA Sci Tech, Jan. 2015.
Pardeshi, I., Shih, T.I-P., Bryden, K.M., Ames, R., Dennis, R.A., Ding, S., Xu, G., Deng, H., and Lu, R., “Flow and Heat Transfer in a Rotating and Non-Rotating Wedge-Shaped Cooling Passage with Ribs and Pin Fins,” AIAA Paper 2015-1444, AIAA Sci Tech, Jan. 2015.
Liu, J., Weaver, A., Shih, T. I-P., Sangan, C.M., and Lock, G.D., “Modelling and Simulation of Ingress into the Rim Seal and Wheelspace of a Gas-Turbine Rotor-Stator Configuration,” AIAA Paper 2015-1445, AIAA Sci Tech, Jan. 2015.
Weaver, A.M., Liu, J., and Shih, T.I-P., “A Weave Design for Trailing-Edge Cooling,” AIAA Paper 2015-1446, AIAA Sci Tech, Jan. 2015.
Stratton, Z., Shih, T.I-P., Laskowski, G., Briggs, R., and Barr, B., “Effects of Cross Flow in an Internal-Cooling Channel on Film Cooling of a Flat Plate through Compound –Angle Holes,” ASME Paper GT-2015-42771, Montreal, Canada, June 2015.
Ramachandran, S.G. and Shih, T. I-P., “Biot-Number Analogy for Design of Experiments in Turbine Cooling,” ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 137, June 2015, pp. 061002-1 to 061002-14.
Lee, C.-S., Shih, T.I-P., and Bryden, K.M., “Estimating Over Temperature and Its Duration in a Flat Plate with Sudden Changes in Heating and Cooling,” ASME Paper GT-2015-43526, Montreal, Canada, June 2015. Also, ASME Journal of Turbomachinery, Vol. 138, June 2016, 061007-1 to 061007-12.
Shih, T.I-P., Lee, C.-S., and Bryden, K.M., “Effects of Averaging the Heat-Transfer Coefficient on the Predicted Material Temperature Distribution,” ASME Paper GT-2015-43552, Montreal, Canada, June 2015.
Lee, C.-S., Shih, T.I-P., and Bryden, K.M., “Effects of Averaging the Heat-Transfer Coefficient on the Predicted Material Temperature and Its Gradient,” Journal of Heat Transfer, to appear.
Sathyanarayanan, S.K. and Shih, T.I-P., “Time-Accurate CFD Conjugate Analysis of Transient Measurements of the Heat-Transfer Coefficient,” AIAA Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer, to appear.