VIP registration is open to all majors.
Which course should you register for?
- There are different course numbers for each year - you should register for the course number that corresponds to the level of courses you are taking in your major/program. If you are classified higher in myPurdue, you can request a classification override.
- There are different course numbers if you are taking VIP as part of the FYE VIP Learning Community pilot (taken with ENGR 13300) or Senior Design.
VIP Course numbers:
- ENGR 17911: First year participation in VIP for 1st semester FYE VIP LC students (offered in Fall)
- ENGR 17912: First year participation in VIP for 2nd semester FYE VIP LC students (offered in Spring)
- ENGR 17920: First year participation in VIP (primarily Data Mine LC students)
- ENGR 27920: Sophomore participation in VIP
- ENGR 37920: Junior participation in VIP
- ENGR 47920: Senior participation in VIP
- ENGR 47921: 1st semester Senior Design participation in VIP
ENGR 47922: 2nd semester Senior Design participation in VIP
- ECE Senior Design students: The ENGR numbers have been approved by the ECE Curriculum committee to replace ECE 47900 for senior design.
- In Honors? We plan to offer Honors Contract options this Spring for those who have prior participation in VIP. Email Prof. Carla Zoltowski (cbz at purdue dot edu) for more info.
The section matters! Please see Scheduling Assistant Walkthough instructions below.
- Each VIP team is a different section of the courses above. It is important that you register for the team that aligns with your interests. See the teams link to find more info and expectations of each of the teams. If you don't specify the section, you will be assigned to a random section.
- Each team will meet weekly. Some teams have an established meeting time as shown in myPurdue, and others will schedule the meeting based on member availability. In general, course conflicts with the team meeting time (lab section) will not be approved.
- In addition to the team/lab meetings, each registered student is expected to participate in 10 Professional Development (PD) activities during the semester. The course-wide lecture meets weekly, and each week counts as one "PD credit"; therefore, you should plan to attend the lecture most weeks. However, there are other opportunities to earn credits, so please contact VIP if you have a conflict with the lecture.
- A table of the VIP teams, course numbers and CRNs for the Fall 2020 teams can be found here.
- A table of the VIP teams, course numbers and CRNs for Summer 2020 teams can be found here.
How does VIP count?
- Up to 6 credits of VIP can be used as special content courses in Electrical Engineering (EE) or in Computer Engineering (CmpE). In addition, two semesters of VIP (ENGR 47921 and ENGR 47922) can be used to satisfy Senior Design in EE and CmpE.
Scheduling Assistant Walkthrough
For students who need to go through the pre-registration process, log in to Scheduling Assistant to fill out the Course Request Form (CRF).
For VIP, incoming sophomores look up ENGR 27920 to get the list of teams to select from. Select the check boxes for lecture and labs based on the instructions below -
MyPurdue Registration Walkthrough
In myPurdue, go to Registration > Add or Drop Classes.
Using ENGR 27920 as an example, this is how you find out the CRN for the lecture and the specific VIP team you are interested in joining. The process for ENGR 37920 and ENGR 47920 are similar. If, for example, you are interested in the 'Data Analytics for Smart Cities' as a sophomore, you would enroll in CRN 17370 for the team.
Each team has different CRNs for the sophomore, junior, and senior level courses, but the teams are linked (cross-listed). The team limit includes all of the cross-listed CRNS. In order to see how many spaces are available on the team, click the team CRN indicated by the arrow above.
Please note that although 4 of 5 spaces have been taken for the 27920 level course, overall the team has 4 of 8 spaces taken, so please make sure to view this detailed information to see if there is space remaining on a team for which you wish to register.