Spring 2023 Registration Process Update (as of 1/20)
We encourage those interested in participating in VIP to plan to enroll in Summer or Fall 2023. We will be posting more information on how to enroll in those sessions in the next few weeks, so please check back.
VIP registration is open to all majors.
Which course should you register for?
- There are different course numbers for each year - you should register for the course number that corresponds to the level of courses you are taking in your major/program. If you are classified higher in myPurdue, you can request a classification override.
- There are different course numbers if you are taking VIP as part of the FYE VIP Learning Community pilot (taken with ENGR 13300) or Senior Design.
VIP Course numbers (effective Spring 2021):
- VIP 17911: First year participation in VIP for 1st semester FYE VIP Learning Community students only (offered in Fall)
- VIP 17912: First year participation in VIP for 2nd semester FYE VIP Learning Community students only (offered in Spring)
- VIP 17920: First year participation in VIP (primarily Data Mine LC students, although there are limited spots available in Spring semester)
- VIP 27920: Sophomore participation in VIP
- VIP 37920: Junior participation in VIP
- VIP 47920: Senior participation in VIP
- VIP 47921: 1st semester Senior Design participation in VIP
- VIP 47922: 2nd semester Senior Design participation in VIP
The section matters! Please see Scheduling Assistant Walkthough instructions below.
- Each VIP team is a different section of the courses above. It is important that you register for the team that aligns with your interests. See the teams link to find more info and expectations of each of the teams.
- Each team will meet weekly. Some teams have an established meeting time as shown in myPurdue, and others will schedule the meeting based on member availability. In general, course conflicts with the team meeting time (lab section) will not be approved.
- In addition to the team/lab meetings, each registered student is expected to participate in 10 Professional Development (PD) activities during the semester. The course-wide lecture (lec) is to be completed by the student throughout the semester through various PD activities that are available online or in-person.
- A table of the VIP teams, course numbers, and CRNS can be found in myPurdue > Look Up Classes.
How does VIP count?
- First-Year Engineering VIP Pathway (VIP 17911 and VIP 17912 along with ENGR 13300)
- Technical Elective or Elective in most engineering disciplines
- University Core Curriculum: Science, Technology, and Society Foundational Learning Outcome
- Fulfills senior capstone design requirements in a few disciplines (see ECE and CmpE below; some CS tracks)
- Counts toward Honors degree
- Entrepreneurship Certificates: option and capstone course
- Defense and Security undergraduate certificate option
- Data Science Certificate
- ECE and CmpE
- Discuss how you can count VIP in your plan of study with your academic advisor.
- A table of the VIP teams, course numbers, and CRNS for the Spring 2023 can be found in myPurdue > Look Up Classes.
- A table of the VIP teams, course numbers, and CRNS for the Fall 2022 teams can be found here.
For VIP, incoming sophomores look up VIP 27920 to get the list of teams to select from. Select the check boxes for lecture and labs based on the instructions below -
View Schedule in MyPurdue
In myPurdue, go to Registration > Look Up Classes
Using VIP 27920 as an example, this is how you find out the CRN for the lecture and the specific VIP team you are interested in joining. The process for VIP 37920 and VIP 47920 are similar. If, for example, you are interested in the 'Beyond 5G' as a sophomore, you would enroll in CRN 19896 for the team.
Each team has different CRNs for the sophomore, junior, and senior level courses, but the teams are linked (cross-listed). The team limit includes all of the cross-listed CRNS. In order to see how many spaces are available on the team, click the team CRN indicated by the arrow above.
Please note that although 1 of 6 spaces have been taken for the 27920 level course, overall the team has 4 of 6 spaces taken, so please make sure to view this detailed information to see if there is space remaining on a team for which you wish to register.