2017 Engineering Gift Guide
The 2017 Engineering Gift Guide from Purdue University is filled with fun toys, games, books, and applications to engage girls and boys ages 3-18 in engineering thinking and design. Items included in the guide go through an extensive review process. Researchers looked for toys that would promote engineering practices ranging from coding and spatial reasoning to problem solving and critical thinking.
Download a PDF version of the 2017 Engineering Gift Guide
Engineering Gift Guide Review Summaries
Research Bases for Engineering Gift Guide
- Inman, J., & Cardella, M. E. (2015, June), Gender Bias in the Purchase of STEM-Related Toys (Fundamental) Paper presented at 2015 ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Seattle, Washington. 10.18260/p.24151
- Cardella, M. E., & Wolsky, M., & Paulsen, C. A., & Jones, T. R. (2014, June), Informal Pathways to Engineering: Preliminary Findings Paper presented at 2014 ASEE Annual Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana. https://peer.asee.org/20638
- Dorie, B. L., & Cardella, M. E., & Svarovsky, G. N. (2014, June), Capturing the Design Thinking of Young Children Interacting with a Parent Paper presented at 2014 ASEE Annual Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana. https://peer.asee.org/20147
- Dorie, B. L., & Jones, T. R., & Pollock, M. C., & Cardella, M. E. (2014, June), Parents as Critical Influence: Insights from Five Different Studies Paper presented at 2014 ASEE Annual Conference, Indianapolis, Indiana. https://peer.asee.org/22901
- Cardella, M. E., & Wolsky, M., & Paulsen, C. A., & Jones, T. R. (2013, June), Informal Pathways to Engineering Paper presented at 2013 ASEE Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia. https://peer.asee.org/19761
- Brophy, S., & Evangelou, D. (2007, June), Precursors To Engineering Thinking (Pet) Paper presented at 2007 Annual Conference & Exposition, Honolulu, Hawaii. https://peer.asee.org/3011
Gift Submission Process
To learn about our gift submission process.
In the News
See who's talking about our Engineering Gift Guide.
Contact Elizabeth Gajdzik at firstname.lastname@example.org or 765-494-9599 for questions or concerns.
Purdue University, Wang Hall, Suite 3500
ATTN: Elizabeth Gajdzik
516 Northwestern Avenue, Room 3506
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Financial Support for Gift Guide
- General Motors Foundation
- John Deere Foundation