Chemical Engineering Safety
- Professor Osman Basaran
- Professor James Caruthers
- Viktor Cybulskis
- Jason Davenport
- Professor Robert Hannemann
- Ravi Joshi
- Mark Koeper
- Jennifer Laster
- Gabriela Nagy, Chair
- Jeff Valley
- Yury Zvinevich
- ChE Safety Awareness Training - ChE Safety Awareness Training is required for all new employees including faculty, staff, researcher associates and students. Please contact Dr. Gabriela Nagy firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information and training dates.
|ChE Safety Awareness Training|
|Thursday, May 28||2:30 - 3:30 pm||FRNY G124|
|Wednesday, June 3||9:00 - 10:00 am||FRNY G124|
- Training Offered by REM
- Annual Safety Training Refresher
- The material presented during the ISP info session held on May 27, 2015, can be accessed here.
Safety Policies Specific to Forney Hall
Safety Policies Specific to FRNY Building
These policies are in addition to the safety rules applicable at University level and to those found in the Purdue Chemical Hygiene Plan. More stringent rules, for a specific work area, may be put in place by our Faculty.
Laboratory Safety Requirements
- Safety Training (see ChE Safety Awareness Training above)
- Lead Graduate Student Safety Responsibilities
Chemical Hygiene Plan
Every Purdue ChE laboratory is required to maintain a work-specific Chemical Hygiene Plan. The template above can be used as a starting point for creating a work area specific Chemical Hygiene Plan, which should be updated as necessary, but at least annually.
Safety Data Sheet (SDS) Binder (Previously Material Safety Data Sheet or MSDS)
Every laboratory is required to maintain a binder of up-to-date SDSs/MSDSs for the chemicals that are in use in the laboratory. SDSs/MSDSs are typically available on vendor websites. REM can also help with an SDS search.
- Chemical Inventory Form (HCP-4)
- Employee Exposure Information (HCP-5)
Hazard Assessment/Appendix A3: Location/Template
The Hazard Assessment should be reviewed and updated annually or when new hazards are introduced to the laboratory.
Laboratory Door Posting
The Door Posting should be updated annually or when personnel changes occur in the laboratory.
- Eye washes should be flushed weekly.
- The area beneath safety showers marked by green and white tape should be kept clear at all times.
- Safety Gloves Selection Guide:
- Integrated Safety Plan Self-Audit Checklist
- Guideline for Use of Hydrogen and Flammable Hydrogen Gas Mixtures
- Building Emergency Plan (BEP) for FRNY Building
- Classroom Emergency Plans - College of Engineering
- Emergency Procedures - Purdue
- Emergency Procedures Handbook
"Shots Fired on Campus: When Lightning Strikes"
(A 20-minute active shooter awareness video that illustrates what to look for and how to prepare and react to this type of incident.)
"To Hell and Back, College Fire Survival"
(A 20-minute fire safety video for college students.)
Accidents Do Happen at Universities
- UCLA - December 2008
- Texas Tech - January 2010
- Georgia Tech - June 2010
- University of Missouri - June 2010
- Yale University - April 2011
Workplace Injury Information
- What to do in case of an incident:
- Worker's Compensation: Steps to Take if You Are Injured or Become Ill on the Job
- Where to Seek Medical Treatment
- First Report of Injury Form (under Injury)
- REM Injury Portal
Purdue University Radiological and Environmental Management (REM)
(An organization that provides expertise in the areas of environmental, health and safety issues. First stop for Purdue EH&S information.)
- Guidance Document: Minors in Research Laboratories or Animal Facilities
U.S. Chemical Safety Board (CSB)
(An independent federal agency that investigates chemical accidents. Excellent source for accident information and videos.)
Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS)
(CCPS is an organization within AIChE that identifies and addresses process safety needs within the chemical, pharmaceutical, and petroleum industries.)
Safety and Chemical Engineering Education (SAChE) Program
(A cooperative effort between the Center for Chemical Process Safety (CCPS) and engineering schools to provide teaching materials and programs in process safety. Contact Linda Davis for information on the Student Certificate Program.)
Dow Lab Safety Academy
("Dow Lab Safety Academy” is a digital learning environment that shares Dow’s outstanding industrial safety culture and practices in a quick and accessible format. Here you can access dozens of videos featuring lab safety guidelines, and a collection of useful safety resources.)
- #19: FRNY Compressed Gas Cylinder Handling Procedures (updated October 2014)
- #18: UCLA fatality incident trial update
- #17: Indiana Mosquito Borne Diseases
- #16: Tippecanoe County Tornado Data
- #15: Nanoparticle Safety and Health Guidelines
- #14: Compressed Gas Cylinder Safety
- #13: Lead Content in Purdue Water
- #12: Slips, Trips and Falls
- #11: Purdue and West Lafayette Police Educate and Enforce New Crosswalks
- #10: Tornado Data for West Lafayette, IN
- #9: UCLA Fatality Investigation
- #8: Recent Bomb Threat
- #7: Emergency Shower Safety Incident at UCLA
- #6: Cell Phone Safety
- #5: Labeling and Waste Issues
- #4: E-mail and Cell Phone Weather Alerts Available
- #3: Hydrogen Fluoride and Hydrofluoric Acid
- #2: Emergency Preparedness
- #1: Hazardous Materials Movement by University Employees