Sample Timeline for Fall Admission
If you are considering graduate studies, you should plan on the following schedule of activities for an August Admission. Application dates for other terms are listed at the bottom of this page.
During the period of August-November, research the institutions you are considering attending graduate school. For graduate studies at Purdue University you should use the following resources:
- Fill out our request for information form so we can email you when Purdue representatives are at your University, notify you of funding opportunities, and remind you of important application dates. There is no fee or obligation associated with completing this request for information.
- Read our web page on Funding Opportunities. Many prospective students are pleasantly surprised to learn that in contrast to undergraduate studies, graduate programs typically provide tuition remission and a monthly stipend for high quality students.
- Examine the recently awarded research projects and completed publications to learn what faculty members are involved in to identify technical areas of mutual interest.
- Follow the hyperlinks on those projects or visit our faculty web pages to obtain contact information for faculty that have technical expertise in areas that interest you. Call them to arrange a time to visit the campus and meet with them.
- Browse the abstracts of our recently completed doctoral dissertations to see examples of what our recent graduates have completed.
- Browse the spotlights of a few of our current students.
- Visit websites of our peer institutions. Although we have exceptionally strong undergraduate and graduate programs that have consistently been ranked in the top 10 Civil Engineering graduate programs, the most important selection criteria you should use when selecting a graduate program is ensuring there is a good match between your specialized technical interests and the graduate activities at a particular university.
During the period October-November: International applicants should arrange to take the TOEFL/IELTS and have the scores submitted to Purdue University.
During the month of November initiate your application so you can make sure all components are completed by December 31.
During the month of December be sure all supporting material (transcripts, reference letters, exam scores) has been received by our graduate office. It is important that all material be received by December 31 to ensure you receive complete consideration for all financial aid opportunities. We will continue to accept application materials after December 31; once we have received a complete application package, you will be considered for whatever funding is available at that time.
During the months of February-April, you will receive emails from the CE Grad Office, letting you know as your file progresses through the review process. During this period you may also be receiving competitive offers. Take the time to evaluate not only the gross monthly stipends, but the cost of living in other geographic areas.
During the months of May and June accepted students should visit some of our community links and begin making arrangements to move to West Lafayette.