Application Process and Requirements
You are welcome to apply to our program at any time, but please take note that over 90% of our students complete their application during the period of October-December for admission the following August. Review of applications for August admission begins January 1, with our first round of financial offers decided by February 1. If you want maximum consideration for financial assistance for an August admission, you must have a completed application and ensure all documents (transcripts, recommendations, test scores) have been received by January 1. We will not begin a review of an application until all of the required materials have been received. Most financial offer letters are sent to students during the period February 1-April 15. However, as new funding opportunities arise, a number of financial offers are occasionally sent to well-qualified students in May, June and July.
Our application process is entirely electronic. In preparing to apply to our graduate program, you should make the following preparation.
What you will need in order to apply:
- An earned 4-year bachelor's degree
- A minimum 3.0/4.0 GPA, or equivalent
- Identify three references, and obtain their email and contact information.
- If you have not already, take the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and have the scores reported to Purdue University (institutional code 1631). **Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Burke Graduate Program is temporarily waiving the GRE requirement for the Spring 2021 and Fall 2021 application cycles.**
- Have an electronic copy of your resume ready to upload.
- Prepare a Statement of Purpose that articulates your professional development goals. If you are seeking financial assistance via a research or teaching assistantship, it is particularly important that you browse the research activities our faculty are involved in and identify what type of area you would like to work in. Your statement of purpose is our main tool for routing your application to the appropriate faculty member for review, and ultimately determining which students we will offer financial assistance to. This statement need not be long, but it should be carefully prepared.
- Obtain pdf or scanned official transcripts from all institutions you have attended. International applicants should include original language transcripts and English translations of their transcripts that are not in English. These documents should be uploaded to the electronic application system (along with the resume and statement of purpose). If your degree is not posted on the transcripts, you should also submit a copy of your diploma.
- Be prepared to pay the application fee with a credit card. Your application will not be released for review until this application fee has been paid. The fee is $60 for domestic applicants (including permanent residents) and $75 for international applicants.
International applicants whose native language is not English are required to provide proof of English proficiency for admission to degree, and non-degree graduate programs.
Option A: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
The Graduate School accepts valid* TOEFL scores earned through the paper-delivered test and Internet-based test. The minimum Internet-Based Test (iBT) scores required for admission are the following:
- Writing 18
- Speaking 18
- Listening 14
- Reading 19
- Total 90
- Reading 19
- Listening 14
- Writing 18
Option B: International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
The Graduate School also accepts valid* International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores (Academic Module).
An overall band score of 7.0 is required for admission with the following minimum section requirements:
- Reading 6.5
- Listening 6.0
- Speaking 6.5
- Writing 5.5
*To be valid for admission, English proficiency test scores (TOEFL and IELTS) must be no more than two years old at the time the recommendation for admission is received at the Graduate School.
In the following weeks, you will receive an email notice from our program once a decision has been made. Decision time will vary depending on the circumstance in each area.