How to Register - Graduate Students
1. Schedule of Classes - find course numbers & CRNs
Log in to myPurdue and click on "View the schedule of classes" to locate course numbers and CRN #s.
2. Meet With Your Major Professor
Set up a meeting with your advisor/major professor to determine your course schedule. YOU and your major professor are responsible for following your Plan of Study, area exam conditions (PhD), etc.
3. PIN Number
Your advisor/major professor should provide your PIN.
4. Register via the Scheduling Assistant link in myPurdue.
Once you enter your course request, using the information gathered in step #1, the Scheduling Assistant will then circulate the request to the appropriate contacts for approval - you do NOT need to contact people separately. Here's a link to the Scheduling Assistant FAQ page. Please note that if you are registering for CE research hours, through the first week of classes, please email the CE Grad Office (see item # 7 on this list) - the Scheduling Assistant doesn't process research hours effectively. After the first week of classes, all registration requests must be entered through the Scheduling Assistant.
5. Independent Study Courses - requires a Form VT
Meet with your major professor to determine course title (30 characters or less), fill out and email the Form VT to the CE Graduate Office at email@example.com. CE Grad Office will then set up the course and register you. If it is past the first week of classes, you should send the form to firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Funded Students
If you are being funded by a research or teaching assistantship, you are required to register for at least 3 credit hours of coursework and/or research each semester (including summer). International students need to register for at least 6 hours. Students with funding that is managed through the Graduate School (PDF, Andrews, Ross, Lynn, etc) must register for at least full-time (8 credit hours).
7. Thesis Research and other CE courses that require special approvals
If you are a PhD or MS thesis option student you are required to enroll in thesis research every semester you are conducting research– even if you have met the minimum required credits for research. You can find your professor's research CRN in the Schedule of Classes in myPurdue. Get email approval from your advisor, that includes your PUID, research section CRN and the number of credits you should be registered for and forward that to email@example.com. Please send just one email with all this information to prevent delays in processing. Please be sure that you have removed any registration holds that may be on your account. After the first week of classes, all registration requests must be entered through the Scheduling Assistant.
8. Final Check
Double-check your class list in myPurdue, under "Concise Student Schedule", once it is entered.
General Registration Information
• Most areas have a seminar (CE 69100) that you should register for.
• All incoming Graduate students should register for the CE 69100 Graduate Student Orientation during their first semester.
• If the student is pursuing an MS, they will register for CE 69800 (research credit). The exact number of credits students register for will vary depending upon faculty expectations in research for the upcoming semester. MS thesis students must have a minimum of 9 hours of research.
• If the student is pursuing a PhD, they will register for CE 69900 (research credit). The exact number of credits students register each semester for will vary depending upon faculty expectations in research for the semester. PhD students may count up to 30 credits from an MS toward their required 90 credits. Civil Engineering requires that PhD students have a minimum of 42 hours of research to graduate.
• Be sure to choose the correct section of the research course – you will have to search the list for the section with your advisor as instructor and use that CRN.
For Students who intend to graduate you must register for the appropriate candidate course:
Regular candidacy: CAND 99100
Student must be registered for at least one credit of coursework or research with this type of candidacy.
Exam Only: CAND 99300
Register for this type of candidacy if student expects to complete their final examination and the graduate advisory committee expects to submit a positive report on their final examination early in the semester. Exact dates when this must be complete are provided at https://www.purdue.edu/gradschool/about/calendar/index.html
Degree Only: CAND 99200
Register for this type of candidacy if final examination has been completed but thesis has not been submitted (or was not submitted by the previous semester deadline). Exact dates when this must be complete are provided at https://www.purdue.edu/gradschool/about/calendar/index.html.
Drop and adds are also initiated by the student via myPurdue. Drop/Add deadlines can be found at: http://www.purdue.edu/registrar/calendars/index.html
Please note that thesis option students must be registered for research hours in the semester they plan to graduate.