What should I do when a CE course is closed (full) and I need it?

  1. Continue to check myPurdue for space availability. To manage course enrollment, seats are often incrementally opened. 
  2. Some courses may have a waitlist option. For instructions on joining a course waitlist, view the following short video.
  3. Follow up with your CE advisor to determine if any space may open up during open registration or the week before classes start.
  4. Submit a Form 23 (signed by student & advisor) to the CE Main Office in CIVL 1141 that includes your name, PUID, and the CE course(s) that you need. This is not a wait list, but rather a way for our office to assess the need for a particular course. Do not make a submission if you are already enrolled in the course but desire a different section (time slot).

Keep in mind:

  1. If it is early in the registration season (semester does not begin for a few more weeks), experience indicates that there will be many changes in course status as time progresses.
    1. Many courses have stated prerequisites that students are currently enrolled in. Students who fail the required prerequisite(s) will no longer meet the requirement. Therefore, course enrollment may change as early as within a few days of grades being posted for the current semester, as students adjust their own schedules accordingly.
    2. The Office of the Registrar also does a prerequisite review prior to the onset of each term to remove students from courses for which they do not have proper prerequisites. Thus, students who have not already taken action on their own will be removed from courses for which they do not meet prerequisites.
  2. If a critical course is closed, a department can request a larger room to accommodate more students. This often cannot be done until later in the registration season, as other departments recognize (based on low enrollment) their ability to move to a smaller venue.
  3. Lastly, during the first week of classes you can ask a CE instructor for permission to enroll in a closed section. If there is physical space in the room (this must be verified by the CE Schedule Deputy), the instructor has the ability to allow the update. An override or Form 23 may be is required.