LORRE is able to perform aerobic, microaerobic, and anaerobic fermentations using bacteria, yeast, and fungi. We have facilities to conduct these fermentations and analysis of the products from microwell plates, shake flasks, instrumented 1L fermenters, at the 40L scale. When combined with our analytical and bioseparations capabilities, the fermentation capabilities allow LORRE to conduct fermentations, analyze the output, purify the product, and develop process models (material and energy balances, kinetics, etc.) around the production of proteins and biochemicals.
The Bioflow 110 is a one-liter bioreactor that can be used for fermentation and propagation of cells. We are equipped with three reactors each capable of monitoring and maintaining pH, dO2, agitation, temperature and air flow rates.
Microbial Fermentors:LORRE has instrumented fermentors ranging from 1 to 40 L. The 40 L fermentor is a New Brunswick Scientific mobile pilot plant fermentor. The iL New Brunswick BioFlo 110 fermentors have BioCommand software for computer control and data logging.
- Shake Flask Incubators: Both temperature controlled floor and bench top units for shake flasks ranging from 250 mL to 2 L in size.
- Centrifuges: Beckman Types J2-21,Avanti J-30I, Avanti J-20XPI centrifuges, IEC HT (bench top) centrifuge and several Eppendorf bench top centrifuges.
- Autoclaves: SterileMax Tabletop 12 in dia x 18 in deep for sterilizing small items and Steris SG 120, 20 x 20 x 38 inch for sterilizing entire fermentation vessels
- Incubator Cabinets: For maintenance of Petri dish cultures. Low temperature incubator (-1.5C) also available.
- Sterile Transfer Hoods: For transfer of microbial cultures and preparation of seed cultures.
- BL-2 Safety Cabinet: Sterile hood to be used for working with pathogenic food organisms.
- Microscopes: Zeiss inverted stage; Olympia TO41 inverted stage light transmission microscope. Nikon Ty120 Florescence Microscope, up to 1000x magnification, with digital image capture.
- Freezers: SD Low Environmental Equipment Company Ultra-Low freezer for microbial cultures (-70 C) and Kelvinator (-30 C) freezer for plasmids; chest freezer for storing biomass samples.
- Freeze Driers: Lyophilizers for freeze drying samples.