Completion Process for PhD
This Completion Process information is merely designed as a guide to provide general information. Please consult with your major professor(s) for current guidance on how to satisfy your degree requirement.
- Major Professor is pre-assigned. (Major Professor may be listed as Thesis Advisor or Graduate Advisor.)
- Discuss your educational objectives with several members of the faculty within the first six weeks on campus.
- Identify a major professor and advisory committee by the middle of the first semester of study.
- Prepare a Plan of Study (POS) with your Major Professor, selecting an Advisory Committee and courses.
- See IE PhD Plan of Study (POS) Requirements for more information on completing a Plan of Study.
- Complete the registration for subsequent semesters with your major professor(s).
- Submit your Plan of Study as final so it can be fully approved. If you fail to file a POS on time, a late fee may be assessed by the Graduate School.
- Schedule your Preliminary Examination. (Two semester rules apply between the Preliminary Examination and Final Examination.) For specific details on final examinations, read PhD Preliminary Examination Guidelines.
Declare Candidacy by notifying IE Graduate Office.
- To check deadlines, visit Deadlines Calendar, The Graduate School.
- If you fail to declare candidacy by the deadline, a $200 late fee will be applied by the Graduate School.
- Schedule your PhD Final Examination. For specific details on final examinations, read PhD Final Examination Guidelines.
- Schedule your thesis deposit appointment as early as possible. The specific thesis deposit process can be found at Thesis/Dissertation Office.
- A Commencement tab will be added on your myPurdue when you successfully declare candidacy. Please see Commencement for more information.
NOTE: If you have an incomplete grade, consult your instructor or major professor immediately.