Associate Professor of Civil Engineering and Academic Director for Research Computing
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 4118 / BOWN 1046
Phone: (765) 496-8368
Earthquake engineering, seismic vulnerability of existing structures, displacement-based seismic design, instrumentation and testing of structures, response of structures to impulsive loads, structural-health monitoring, repair and strengthening of structures
PhD, Purdue University, 2002
MSCE, Purdue University, 1997
BSCE, National University of Colombia, 1996
Honors & Awards
- ACI Fellow
- Excellence in Research – Seed for Success Award, Purdue University - 2015
- Bravo Award (Purdue University College of Engineering) - 2015
- Faculty Scholar - 2015
- Harold Munson Outstanding Teacher Award - 2013
- ASCE Walter L. Huber Civil Engineering Research Prize - 2012
- Excellence in Research – Seed for Success Award, Purdue University - 2010
- Roy E. & Myrna Wansik Teaching Award for Outstanding Teaching, Purdue University - 2009
- Edmund M. Burke Outstanding Civil Engineering Professor Award - 2008
- AISC IDEAS2 Presidential Award of Excellence - 2008
- Ross Fellowship, Purdue University - 2000
- Pujol S., Rautenberg J., and Sozen, M., "A New Look at the Metaphor of the Bottle-Shaped Strut," submitted to Concrete International.
- Pujol S., and Fick D., "The Test of a Full-Scale Three-Story RC Structure with Masonry Infill Walls," submitted to Engineering Structures, on 6 January, 2010.
- Pujol S., and Sozen, M., "Tests at High Strain Rates of A706 Steel Reinforcing Bars with Mechanical Splices," submitted to Concrete International on 29 September 2009.
- Bedirhanouglu, I., Ilki A., Pujol S., Kumbasar N., "Seismic Behavior of Joints Built with Plan Bars and Low-Strength Concrete," accepted for publication in the ACI Structural Journal.
- Sozen M., Pujol S., "A Sensor for Confident Identification of Structural Damage in Reinforced Concrete Buildings," Accepted for publication in Smart Structures and Systems.
- Chin J.C., Rautenberg JM, Ma C.Y.T., Pujol S., and Yau D.K.Y., (2009). "An Experimental Low-cost, Low-data-rate Rapid Structural Assessment Network," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 9, No. 11.
- Pujol S., Smith-Pardo J.P., (2009). "A New Perspective on The Effects of Abrupt Column Removal," Engineering Structures, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 869-874.