Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Phone: (765) 494-7434
Structural Dynamics and Control
Damage Detection and Structural Condition Monitoring
Real-time Hybrid Simulation
Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Notre Dame.
B.S. Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, University of Illinois.
Honors & Awards
- National Science Foundation PECASE Award (1998)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (1998)
- Purdue University College of Engineering Team Excellence Award (2013)
- ANCRISST Young Investigator Award, (2007)
- Outstanding Alumna Award for the Department of Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering at the University of Illinois (2005)
- International Association on Structural Safety and Reliability Junior Research Award (2001)
- Short-term Invitation Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (1998, 2002)
- X. Gao, N.E. Castaneda and S.J. Dyke. "Real-time hybrid simulation - from dynamic system, motion control to experimental error," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 42(6), 815-832, DOI: 10.1002/eqe.2246 (2013).
- Y. Wang, and S.J. Dyke, (2013), "Modal-based LQG for Smart Base Isolation System Design in Seismic Response Control." J. Structural Control Health Monitoring, Wiley, 20: 753-768. doi: 10.1002/stc.1490.
- Y. Cha, A. Agrawal and S.J. Dyke (2013). "Time Delay Effects on Large-scale MR damper Based Semi-active Control Strategies," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 22 No. 1, 015011 doi:10.1088/0964-1726/22/1/015011.
- Y. Cha, J. Zhang, A. Agrawal, B. Dong, A. Friedman, S.J. Dyke, and J. Ricles (2013). "Comparative Studies of Semiactive Control Strategies for MR Dampers: Pure Simulation and Real-Time Hybrid Tests." J. Struct. Eng. 139, SPECIAL ISSUE: NEES 1: Advances in Earthquake Engineering, 1237-1248.
- A.J. Friedman, S.J. Dyke and B. Phillips (2013). "Over-driven Control for Large-scale Magnetorheological Dampers" Smart Materials and Structures, doi:10.1088/0964-1726/22/4/045001.
- G. Hackmann, W. Guo, G. Yan, Z. Sun, C. Lu and S.J. Dyke (2014). "Cyber-Physical Codesign of Distributed Structural Health Monitoring with Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 25, Issue 1, pp. 63-72 DOI: 10.1109/TPDS.2013.30. http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/TPDS.2013.30.
- W. Song and S.J. Dyke, (2013). "Development of a Cyber-Physical Experimental Platform for Real-Time Dynamic Model Updating." Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 37(1-2): 388-402.
- W. Song and S. J. Dyke (2013). "Real-time Dynamic Model Updating of a Hysteretic Structural System," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000857.
- W. Song and S. J. Dyke (2013). "Optimal Feedback Design For Nonlinear Stochastic Systems Using Pseudospectral Method," International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 55: 70-78 doi:10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2013.04.014.
- W. Song, S.J. Dyke, and Harmon, T. (2013). "Application of Nonlinear Model Updating for A Reinforced Concrete (RC) Shear Wall," Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 139(5): 635-649, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000519.
- N. Castaneda, X. Gao, & S.J. Dyke (2013). "A Computational Tool for Real-time Hybrid Simulation of Seismically Excited Frame Structures." Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, ASCE DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000341.
- Y. Cha, A. Agrawal, A.J. Friedman, B. Phillips, R. Ahn, B. Dong, S.J. Dyke, B.F. Spencer, J. Ricles and R. Christenson (2013). "Performance Validations of Semi-active Controllers on a Large Scale Moment Resisting Frame Equipped with a 200kN MR Damper Using Real-time Hybrid Simulations," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE doi:10.1088/0964-1726/22/1/015011.
- X. Gao, N.E. Castaneda and S.J. Dyke (2014). "Experimental Validation of a Generalized Procedure for MDOF Real-time Hybrid Simulation." Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000696.
- A.J. Friedman, S.J. Dyke, B. Phillips, R. Ahn, B. Dong, Y. Chae, N. Castaneda, Z. Jiang, J. Zhang, Y. Cha, A.I. Ozdagli, B.F. Spencer, J. Ricles, R. Christenson, A. Agrawal, R. Sause (2014). "Large-scale Real-time Hybrid Simulation for Evaluation of Advanced Damping System Performance" Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001093 , 04014150.
- W. Barnawi and S.J. Dyke (2014). "Seismic Fragility Relationships of a Cable-Stayed Bridge Equipped with Response Modification Systems." J. Bridge Engineering, Vol. 19, SPECIAL ISSUE: Recent Advances in Seismic Design, Analysis, and Protection of Highway Bridges, A4013003 DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000468.
- X. Gao and S.J. Dyke (2014). "Modeling and control of actuators for high performance structural dynamic testing" Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 23, 055008 doi:10.1088/0964-1726/23/5/055008.
- A. Maghareh, S.J. Dyke, A. Prakash and J. Rhoads (2014), "Establishing a Stability Switch Criterion for Effective RTHS Implementation," Smart Structures and Systems, Vol. 14, No. 6 pp. 1221-1245, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.6.1221.
- S. Pejsa, S.J. Dyke and T. Hacker (2014). "Building Infrastructure for Preservation and Publication of Earthquake Engineering Research Data" The International Journal of Data Curation, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 83-97. doi:10.2218/ijdc.v9i2.335.
- A Maghareh, S.J. Dyke and A. Prakash (2014), "Establishing a Predictive Performance Indicator for Real-time Hybrid Simulation," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 43, Issue 15, pp. 2299-2318, December 2014 DOI: 10.1002/eqe.2448.
- Y. Qian, G. Ou, A. Maghareh and S.J. Dyke (2014), "Parametric Identification of a Servo-Hydraulic Actuator for Real-time Hybrid Simulation," Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing DOI: 10.1016/j.ymssp.2014.03.001.
- G. Ou, S.J. Dyke, A.I. Ozdagli and B. Wu (2014), "Robust Integrated Actuator Control: Experimental Verification and Real Time Hybrid Simulation Implementation," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, DOI: 10.1002/eqe.2479.
- G. Ou, A. Prakash and S.J. Dyke (2015), "A Modified Runge-Kutta Integration Method for Computation Delay in Real-time Hybrid Simulation," Journal of Earthquake Engineering, DOI:10.1080/13632469.2015.1027018.
- D. Gomez, S.J. Dyke and A. Maghareh (2015), "Enabling Role of Hybrid Simulation Across NEES in Advancing Earthquake Engineering," Smart Structures and Systems Special Issue dedicated to Professor Yozo Fujino, January, DOI: 10.12989/sss.2015.15.3.913.
- C.M. Yeum and S.J. Dyke (2015), "Vision based Automated Crack Detection for Bridge Inspection," Computer Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, DOI: 10.1111/mice.12141.
- Z. Sun, S. Krishnan, G. Hackmann, G. Yan, S.J. Dyke, C. Lu and A. Irfanoglu (2015). "Damage Detection on a Full-Scale Highway Sign Structure with a Distributed Wireless Sensor Network," Smart Structures and Systems, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.16.1.223.
- Z. Sun, B. Li, S.J. Dyke, C. Lu and L. Linderman (2015). "Benchmark problem in active structural control with wireless sensor network," Journal of Structural Control and Health Monitoring, DOI: 10.1002/stc.1761.
- B. Xu, J. He and S.J. Dyke, 2015. "Model Free Nonlinear Restoring Force Identification for SMA Dampers with Double Chebyshev Polynomials: Approach and Validation" Nonlinear Dynamics, DOI 10.1007/s11071-015-2257-0.
- F. Li, A. Maghareh and S.J. Dyke 2015. "Experimental Implementation of Predictive Indicators for Configuring a Real-time Hybrid Simulation" Engineering Structures, doi:10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.07.040.