Blatchley III, Ph.D., P.E., BCEE, F.ASCE
Lee A. Rieth Professor in Environmental Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 2129
Phone: (765) 494-0316
Personal Web Site
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1988
M.S., University of California, Berkeley, 1983
B.S., Purdue University, 1981
Physico/chemical processes of environmental engineering. Emphasis is on processes that relate to water quality, especially those that involve UV radiation, chlorine, or both. Current research foci include disinfection processes for water, UV-based advanced oxidation processes, and swimming pool chemistry
Selected Research Projects
- 2012-present, US EPA, Hydrologists Helping Others (H2O), Dr. William M Scholl Foundation, Purdue University: "Water Supply in Developing Countries" (interdisciplinary service-learning program to provide community-scale water treatment systems to small communities in developing countries).
- 2012-present, Citizens Energy Group, WE&RF, Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, New York Department of Environmental Protection, NYSERDA, Suez Environnement: "Stochastic Methods for Design and Validation of UV Disinfection Systems."
- 2013-2014, Indiana Water Resources Research Center: "Attached-Growth Lagoons for Wastewater Nitrification in Small Communities."
- 2013-2015, NSF International: "Tetraselmis as a Challenge Organism for Validation of Ballast Water UV Systems."
- 2015-present, Trask Innovation Fund, Global Engineering Program Office, Borlaug Fellows Program: "Continuous-Flow, Community-Scale Solar UV Disinfection Systems for Water Treatment."
- 2011-2017, National Swimming Pool Foundation, China Scholarship Council: "Effects of Chlorine/UV Process on Air and Water Chemistry."
- 2015-present, China Scholarship Council, Purdue University: "Chlorine/UV Process for Degradation and Detoxification of Cyanotoxins."
Honors & Awards
- EPA Training Fellowship, University of California, Berkeley, 1982 - 1983
- Chi Epsilon, 1994 - present
- Harold Munson Outstanding Teacher Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1997
- Roy E. and Myrna G. Wansik Research Leadership Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1998
- William Edgar Award for Pioneering Research in Disinfection, Water Environment Federation, 2005
- Diplomate Environmental Engineer (DEE) (aka, Board Certified Environmental Engineer, BCEE), American Academy of Environmental Engineers, by Eminence in the Specialty of Water Supply and Wastewater, 2006 - present
- Sigma Xi, 2007 - present
- Aquatics International 2008 "Power 25" - Annual list of the 25 most influential aquatics professionals (see http://www.aquaticsintl.com/2008/feb/0802_power.html)
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2014 - present
- Engagement and Service Award, Purdue University, College of Engineering, 2016. Awarded for leadership in development of interdisciplinary service-learning class entitled "Water Supply in Developing Countries." The class designs, builds, and implements holistic, community-scale water treatment systems for impoverished communities in developing countries.
- Daiber, E.J.; DeMarini, D.M.; Ravuri, S.A.; Liberatore, H.K.; Cutherbertson, A.A.; Thompson-Klemish, A.; Byer, J.D.; Schmid, J.; Afifi, M.Z.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Richardson, S.D. (2016) "Progressive Increase in Disinfection Byproducts and Mutagenicity from Source to Tap to Swimming Pool to Spa Water: Implications for Public Health," Environmental Science & Technology, 50, 6652-6662.
- Zhang, X.; Li, J.; Yang, J.Y.; Wood, K.V.; Rothwell, A.P.; Li, W.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2016) "Chlorine/UV Process for Decomposition and Detoxification of Microcystin-LR," Environmental Science & Technology, 50, 7671-7678.
- Clair, R.P.; Rastogi, R.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Clawson, R.A.; Erdmann, C.; Lee, S. (2016) "Extended Narrative Empathy: Poly-Narratives and the Practice of Open Defecation," Communication Theory, 26, 4, 469-488.
- Zare Afifi, M.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2016) "Effects of UV-based treatment on volatile disinfection byproducts in a chlorinated, indoor swimming pool," Water Research, 105, 167-177.
- E. Y.; Bai, H.; Lian, L.; Li, J.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2016) "Effect of chloride on the formation of volatile disinfection byproducts in chlorinated swimming pools," Water Research, 105, 413-420.
- Ding, L.; Weiss, W.J.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "Effects of concrete composition to resistance to microbially-induced corrosion," Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 143, 6, 04017014.
- Weng, S.C.; Yang, J.Y.; Li, Y.H.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "UV-induced effects on toxicity of model DBPs," Science of the Total Environment, 599-600, 94-97.
- LSun, Z.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "Tetraselmis as a challenge organism for validation of ballast water UV systems," Water Research, 121, 311-319.
- Li, M.; Qiang, Z.; Wang, C.; Bolton, J.R.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "Experimental Assessment of Photon Fluence Rate Distributions in a Medium-Pressure UV Photoreactor," Environmental Science & Technology, 51, 3453-3460.
- Ibarra-Taquez, H.N.; GilPavas, E.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Gomez-Garcia, M.A.; Dobrosz-Gomez, I (2017) "Integrated electrocoagulation-electrooxidation process for the treatment of soluble coffee effluent: Optimization of COD degradation and operation time analysis," Journal of Environmental Management, 200, 530-538.
- Li, M.; Li, W.; Qiang, Z.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "On-Site Determination and Monitoring of Real-Time Fluence Delivery for an Operating UV Reactor Based on a True Fluence Rate Detector," Environmental Science & Technology, 51, 14, 8094-8100.
- Li, M.; Li, W.; Wen, D.; Qiang, Z.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2017) "Experimental Evaluation of Turbidity Impact on the Fluence Rate Distribution in a UV Reactor Using a Microfluorescent Silica Detector," Environmental Science & Technology, DOI: 10.1021/acs.est.7b02730.