Professor of Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Office: HAMP 1241
Phone: (765) 494-2239
Personal Web Site
Ph.D., University of Maryland, 1990
MSCE, University of Maryland, 1986
B. Tech, Indian Institute of Technology, 1985
Infrastructure assessment and rehabilitation, construction automation and robotics, resource leveling/resource allocation, environmental issues in construction.
Selected Research Projects
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Integrating Safety into the Civil and Construction Engineering Curriculum, August 2006-May 2006
- Joint Transportation Research Program, Indiana Department of Transportation, Evaluating and Ensuring Safety of Nighttime Construction and Maintenance Activities, August 2005-August 2006
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), Safety of Nighttime Construction Activities, February 2005-January 2010
- Purdue Graduate School (Special Initiatives)/Integrating Sustainability and Disaster Mitigation in Hospital and Civil Infrastructure Assets, August 2003-July 2004
- Joint Transportation Research Program, Indiana Department of Transportation/Analysis, Evaluation and Enhancement of INDOT's Utility Accommodation Policy, January 2003-October 2004
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health/Construction Safety Alliance (specific project: Development of Safer Trenching Operations, September 2001- August 2003
Honors & Awards
- Included in the Purdue Book of Great Teachers, 2003
- Who's Who in Engineering Education, 2002
- Beta Tau Construction Engineering Honorary Outstanding Professor Award, Purdue University, 1996, 2001
- Stanley Zupnick Award, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, 1987, 1988
- Sheikh Jaber Abdullah Jaber Scholarship, Kuwait - 1981-1983
- Irizarry, J., K. Simonsen, and D. M. Abraham. (2005). Effect of Safety and Environmental Variables on Task Durations in Steel Erection. ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering Management.
- Abraham, D. M., J. D. McGlothlin, D. W. Halpin, and J. Hinze. (2004). Construction Safety Alliance - Examining Causes of Construction Injuries and Defining Best Practices That Improve Safety Performance. Construction Information Quarterly, Chartered Institute of Building, Ascot, U.K.
- Abraham, D., C. Fuentes, and D. M. Abraham. (2004). Web-Based Bidding in Construction: Using Simulation as an Evaluation Tool. International Journal of Electronic Business.
- Chung, T., D. M. Abraham, and S. Gokhale. (2004). Decision Support Systems for Microtunneling Applications, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
- Whalen, T., S. Gopal and D. M. Abraham. (2003). A Cost-Benefit Model for the Construction of Tornado Shelters. ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.
- Arboleda, C. and D. M. Abraham. (2003). Fatalities in Trenching Operations, Analysis using Models of Accident Causation. ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management.