Professor of Agronomy and Professor of Civil Engineering and Director of Laboratory for Applications of Remote Sensing (LARS)
Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering
701 W Stadium Avenue
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2045
Office: ARMS 2031
Phone: (765) 496-3224
Ph.D., Ohio State University, 1981
MSCE, University of Illinois, 1973
BSCE, University of Illinois, 1970
Methods in statistical pattern recognition for high dimensional data analysis, data fusion techniques for multisensor problems, multiresolution methods in image analysis, and knowledge transfer in data mining.
Selected Research Projects
- Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), "Satellite Remote Sensing Applications to Improve Performance of Biogenic Emissions Models for Texas Air Quality Analyses," (with G. Wells), 2005-2006.
- NSF, "Extraction and Interpretation of Information from Large-Scale Hyperspectral Data for Mapping and Monitoring Wetland Ecosystems," (with J. Ghosh), 2003-2006.
- NGA, "Remote Sensing Support for the U.S. State Department," 2005.
- NASA, "Toward the Development of Advanced Data Products from EOS Terra and Aqua Direct Broadcasts for Air Quality Management in the State of Texas," (with K. Hutchison), 2004-2006.
- U.S. Geological Survey, "Using High-Resolution Satellite Imagery to Provide Rapid Post-Earthquake Damage Detection," (with E. Rathje), 2004-2005.
- NSF, "Collection and Processing of Satellite Data from the 2003 Tokachi-Oki (Hokkaido) Japan Earthquake for Determination of Permanent Ground Deformations," (with E. Rathje), 2004.
Honors & Awards
UT Engineering Foundation Faculty Excellence Award, 1987, 1990
UT Engineering Foundation Faculty Fellowship #3, 1988-1991
General Dynamics Departmental Teaching Excellence Award, 1990
Halliburton Education Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching, 1991
Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award, Graduate School, University of Texas, 1993
Faculty Research Assignment, 1997 (U. of Arizona and U. of Wollongong)
Charlotte Maer Patton Centennial Fellow in Engineering, 1991-1998
Engineering Foundation Endowed Professorship #1, 1999-present
NASA Outstanding Service Award, EO-1 Science Team, 2002
Outstanding Paper Award, IICAI-2003, Hyderabad, India, Dec. 18-20, 2003
Jefferson Senior Science Fellow, U.S. State Department, 2004-2005
- C.A. Weed, M.M. Crawford, A.L. Neuenschwander, and R. Gutierrez, "Classification of High Resolution Lidar Data using a Lower Envelope Follower and Gradient-Based Operations," submitted to Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing.
- S. Rajan, J. Ghosh, and M. M. Crawford, "Exploiting Class Hierarchies for Knowledge Transfer in Hyperspectral Data," submitted to IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing.
- E.M. Rathje, M.M. Crawford, K. Woo, and A. Neuenschwander, "Damage Patterns from Satellite Images from the 2003 Bam, Iran Earthquake," Earthquake Spectra, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute), in press.
- A.L. Neuenschwander, M.M. Crawford, and S. Ringrose, "Results of the EO-1 experiment - Use of Earth Observing-1 Advanced Land Imager (ALI) data to Assess the Vegetational Response to Flooding in the Okavango Delta, Botswana," International Journal of Remote Sensing, in press.
- J. Ham, Y. Chen, M. M. Crawford, and J. Ghosh, "Investigation of the Random Forest Framework for Classification of Hyperspectral Data," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 43, no. 3, 492-501, 2005.
- S. Lee and M.M. Crawford, "Unsupervised Multistage Image Classification Using Hierarchical Clustering with a Bayesian Similarity Measure," IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, vol. 14, no.3.