Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Civil Engineering
Lyles School of Civil Engineering
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Phone: (765) 494-7434
Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of Notre Dame.
B.S. Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering, University of Illinois.
Structural Dynamics and Control
Damage Detection and Structural Condition Monitoring
Real-time Hybrid Simulation
Selected Research Projects
- National Science Foundation, Collaborative Research: SI2-SSI: Empowering the Scientific Community with Streaming Data Middleware: Software Integration into Complex Science Environments, $42,000 (PI: Tony Fountain from UCSD, July 2012-June 2015).
- National Science Foundation - CPS: Medium: Collaborative Research: CyberMech, a Novel Run-Time Substrate for Cyber-Mechanical Systems (PI: Prakash, Co-PI: Dyke, Collaborative with C. Gill, C. Lu, and K. Agrawal) $1,800,000 (Oct 2011-Sept 2015).
- Army Research Laboratories, SBIR-Phase 2, Ultra-Low Power Wireless Sensors for Advanced in Situ Structural Health Monitoring, subcontract to Luna Innovations ($158,000, December 2012-January 2015).
- National Science Foundation - CPS: Medium: Collaborative Research: Cyber-Physical Co-Design of Wireless Monitoring and Control for Civil Infrastructure (PI: Dyke, Collaborative with G. Agha, C. Lu, B. Spencer)
$340,000 (Oct 2010-Sept 2015).
- National Science Foundation - NEESR-SG: Development of Performance-Based Design and Real-time Large-scale Testing Methodologies to Enable Implementation of Smart Damping Systems (PI: Dyke; Co-PIs: J. Ricles, B. Spencer, A. Agrawal, R. Christenson) $1.2 million (September 2008-August 2014).
Honors & Awards
- National Science Foundation PECASE Award (1998)
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award (1998)
- Purdue University College of Engineering Team Excellence Award (2013)
- ANCRISST Young Investigator Award, (2007)
- Outstanding Alumna Award for the Department of Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering at the University of Illinois (2005)
- International Association on Structural Safety and Reliability Junior Research Award (2001)
- Short-term Invitation Fellowship, Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (1998, 2002)
- Gao, X., Castaneda, N.E., and Dyke, S.J., "Real-time hybrid simulation - from dynamic system, motion control to experimental error," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 42(6), 815-832, DOI: 10.1002/eqe.2246 (2013).
- Wang, Y., and Dyke, S.J., (2013), "Modal-based LQG for Smart Base Isolation System Design in Seismic Response Control." J. Structural Control Health Monitoring, Wiley, 20: 753-768. doi: 10.1002/stc.1490.
- Cha, Y., Agrawal, A., and Dyke, S.J., (2013). "Time Delay Effects on Large-scale MR damper Based Semi-active Control Strategies," Smart Materials and Structures, Vol. 22 No. 1, 015011 doi:10.1088/0964-1726/22/1/015011.
- Cha, Y., Zhang, J., Agrawal, A., Dong, B., Friedman, A.J., Dyke, S.J., and Ricles, J., (2013). "Comparative Studies of Semi-active Control Strategies for MR Dampers: Pure Simulation and Real-Time Hybrid Tests." J. Struct. Eng. 139, SPECIAL ISSUE: NEES 1: Advances in Earthquake Engineering, 1237-1248.
- Friedman, A.J., Dyke, S.J., and Phillips, B., (2013). "Over-driven Control for Large-scale Magnetorheological Dampers" Smart Materials and Structures, http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0964-1726/22/4/045001.
- Hackmann, G., Guo, W., Yan, G., Sun, Z., Lu, C., and Dyke, S.J., (2014). "Cyber-Physical Co-design of Distributed Structural Health Monitoring with Wireless Sensor Networks," IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 25, Issue 1, pp. 63-72 DOI: 10.1109/TPDS.2013.30. http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/TPDS.2013.30.
- Song, W., and Dyke, S.J., (2013). "Development of a Cyber-Physical Experimental Platform for Real-Time Dynamic Model Updating." Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 37(1-2): 388-402.
- Song, W., and Dyke, S.J., (2013). "Real-time Dynamic Model Updating of a Hysteretic Structural System," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000857.
- Song, W., and Dyke, S.J., (2013). "Optimal Feedback Design For Nonlinear Stochastic Systems Using Pseudospectral Method," International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics, 55: 70-78 doi:10.1016/j.ijnonlinmec.2013.04.014.
- Song, W., Dyke, S.J., and Harmon, T., (2013). "Application of Nonlinear Model Updating for A Reinforced Concrete (RC) Shear Wall," Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, 139(5): 635-649, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000519.
- Castaneda, N., Gao, X., and Dyke, S.J., (2013). "A Computational Tool for Real-time Hybrid Simulation of Seismically Excited Frame Structures." Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, ASCE DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CP.1943-5487.0000341.
- Cha, Y., Agrawal, A., Friedman, A.J., Phillips, B., Ahn, R., Dong, B., Dyke, S.J., Spencer, B.F., Ricles, J., and Christenson, R., (2013). "Performance Validations of Semi-active Controllers on a Large Scale Moment Resisting Frame Equipped with a 200kN MR Damper Using Real-time Hybrid Simulations," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE http://dx.doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000982.
- Gao, X., Castaneda, N.E., and Dyke, S.J., (2014). "Experimental Validation of a Generalized Procedure for MDOF Real-time Hybrid Simulation." Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0000696.
- Friedman, A.J., Dyke, S.J., Phillips, B., Ahn, R., Dong, B., Chae, Y., Castaneda, N.E., Jiang, Z., Zhang, J., Cha, Y., Ozdagli, A.I., Spencer, B.F., Ricles, J., Christenson, R., Agrawal, A., Sause, R., (2014). "Large-scale Real-time Hybrid Simulation for Evaluation of Advanced Damping System Performance" Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, 10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001093 , 04014150.
- Barnawi, W., and Dyke, S.J., (2014). "Seismic Fragility Relationships of a Cable-Stayed Bridge Equipped with Response Modification Systems." J. Bridge Engineering, Vol. 19, SPECIAL ISSUE: Recent Advances in Seismic Design, Analysis, and Protection of Highway Bridges, A4013003 DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000468.
- Gao, X., and Dyke, S.J., (2014). "Modeling and control of actuators for high performance structural dynamic testing" Smart Materials and Structures, vol. 23, 055008 doi:10.1088/0964-1726/23/5/055008.
- Maghareh, A., Dyke, S.J., Prakash, A., and Rhoads, J., (2014), "Establishing a Stability Switch Criterion for Effective RTHS Implementation," Smart Structures and Systems, Vol. 14, No. 6 pp. 1221-1245, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/sss.2014.14.6.1221.
- Pejsa, S., Dyke, S.J., and Hacker, T., (2014). "Building Infrastructure for Preservation and Publication of Earthquake Engineering Research Data" The International Journal of Data Curation, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 83-97. doi:10.2218/ijdc.v9i2.335.
- Maghareh, A., Dyke, S.J., and Prakash, A., (2014), "Establishing a Predictive Performance Indicator for Real-time Hybrid Simulation," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 43, Issue 15, pp. 2299-2318, December 2014 DOI: 10.1002/eqe.2448.
- Qian, Y., Ou, G., Maghareh, A., and Dyke, S.J., (2014), "Parametric Identification of a Servo-Hydraulic Actuator for Real-time Hybrid Simulation," Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing DOI: 10.1016/j.ymssp.2014.03.001.
- Ou, G., Dyke, S.J., Ozdagli, A.I., and Wu, B., (2014), "Robust Integrated Actuator Control: Experimental Verification and Real Time Hybrid Simulation Implementation," Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, DOI: 10.1002/eqe.2479.
- Ou, G., Prakash, A., and Dyke, S.J., (2015), "A Modified Runge-Kutta Integration Method for Computation Delay in Real-time Hybrid Simulation," Journal of Earthquake Engineering, DOI:10.1080/13632469.2015.1027018.
- Gomez, D., Dyke, S.J., and Maghareh, A., (2015), "Enabling Role of Hybrid Simulation Across NEES in Advancing Earthquake Engineering," Smart Structures and Systems Special Issue dedicated to Professor Yozo Fujino, January, DOI: 10.12989/sss.2015.15.3.913.
- Yeum, C.M., and Dyke, S.J., (2015), "Vision based Automated Crack Detection for Bridge Inspection," Computer Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, DOI: 10.1111/mice.12141.
- Sun, Z., Krishnan, S., Hackmann, G., Yan, G., Dyke, S.J., Lu, C., and Irfanoglu, A., (2015). "Damage Detection on a Full-Scale Highway Sign Structure with a Distributed Wireless Sensor Network," Smart Structures and Systems, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.16.1.223.
- Sun, Z., Li, B., Dyke, S.J., Lu, C., and Linderman, L., (2015). "Benchmark problem in active structural control with wireless sensor network," Journal of Structural Control and Health Monitoring, DOI: 10.1002/stc.1761.
- Xu, B., He, J., and Dyke, S.J., 2015. "Model Free Nonlinear Restoring Force Identification for SMA Dampers with Double Chebyshev Polynomials: Approach and Validation" Nonlinear Dynamics, DOI 10.1007/s11071-015-2257-0.
- Li, F., Maghareh, A., and Dyke, S.J., 2015. "Experimental Implementation of Predictive Indicators for Configuring a Real-time Hybrid Simulation" Engineering Structures, doi:10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.07.040.